"dummy Cake?" Whats The Best Way ....

Decorating By Formynana Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 2:55am by Formynana

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 9

I see people have made "dummy cakes" .. as a newbie here, does that mean the "cakes" arent cake? whats the best thing to use then for a prop to cover ? Thanks!

8 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:11am
post #2 of 9

You can get "dummy" cake tiers in any of several shapes and sizes from cake supply stores and mail-order places. They're usually made of styrofoam. You can cover and stack them just like they were real cake tiers. They tend to come out a lot nicer than real cakes because they're very regular in shape and the edges are crisp (unlike a lot of fresh-from-the-oven cakes!). If you're covering them with fondant, you'll need to moisten them with a little something (I use a spray bottle of water) so that the fondant will stick to them. Another nice thing about them is that they can be re-used. They're excellent for display cakes that need to last a long time, for competition cakes (where this is allowed) and for building up a portfolio of different types of decoration when you haven't had orders for certain kinds of cake (I'm working on a series of dummy wedding cakes, myself). If you're interested, get yourself an assortment of them and have fun creating!

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 9

Styrofoam!! Most baker supply stores carry them or you can order them online like I do. You can get them pretty cheap, like $.50-$3.00 depending on the size and shape. Google cake dummies to find an online supplier. I know www.**********.com is one of them.

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:27am
post #4 of 9

Careylin cc deleted your mentioned online supplier, is their a way around that? Using dashes between letters maybe? LOL. Thanks!

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #5 of 9
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:03am
post #6 of 9

I like the above mentioned store too! Have placed several orders with them. They do custom orders and everything.

If you only need a few dummies though and last minute....Global Sugar Art sells them pretty reasonable.... the other above store has a $10 minimum so if you only need like three or four, AND you are already placing an order with GSA (to even out shipping) I'd just order from GSA.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 9

www.**********.com there IS a dash in their website address. If you don't put it n there when typing it the link won't show up.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 9

www.**********.com is a terrific company. I buy my cake dummies from them and have been very pleased with both product and service.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:55am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for the info ! I also found another company out of Georgia that is reasonably priced I'll give them both a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%