I Need Help....i'm Soooo Confused

Decorating By Rhiannon1121 Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 6:33am by leah_s

Rhiannon1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannon1121 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #1 of 12

Ok so I had a cake order for 8 servings...small party. Anyways I figured i'd do it by slice $2.50 for fondant, since i'm a newbie and figured that was how it was done. I spent more money in ingredients!!! icon_mad.gif $30 I charged for this cake. How am I supposed to charge by the slice if it doesn't cover my costs? Sorry, but i'm frustrated and confused!! Please HELP!!!

11 replies
JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:20am
post #2 of 12

Try starting the other way around - do the research to figure up how much the supplies will cost, add a wage for yourself based on how much time you think it will take to complete, and then divide that total by how many servings the cake will be. That will give you a better ballpark figure for how much your normal cost per serving should be. It may be just me, but $2.50 for fondant sounds pretty cheap; closer to the price of a buttercream cake. HTH.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:23am
post #3 of 12

what size cake did you actually provide? My guess is that you made a cake that served a lot more than 8 servings and you only charged them for what they wanted instead of what you provided.

A 6" round still serves 16 and an 8" serves 25. So you would have had to make them a 5" round cake 4" tall to get close to their 8 servings, which is WAY under my minimum order (which is an 8" cake, takes one cake recipe and one batch of buttercream)

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:29am
post #4 of 12

Please, tell me it was not for the fall birthday cake in your photos!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:46am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

oh wow! if it was that cake...then I can see why she went over in supplies. Yes, even if that was a 6" cake then it serves 12 in my book. Plus the cost of the cookies on the outside would have been added to that. The amount of fondant you used on the cake is a lot as well.
I would've charged $50 for that cake, easy. So sorry...just chalk it up to a lesson learned and maybe go over how much your supplies actually cost and charge accordingly icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

oh wow! if it was that cake...then I can see why she went over in supplies. Yes, even if that was a 6" cake then it serves 12 in my book. Plus the cost of the cookies on the outside would have been added to that. The amount of fondant you used on the cake is a lot as well.
I would've charged $50 for that cake, easy. So sorry...just chalk it up to a lesson learned and maybe go over how much your supplies actually cost and charge accordingly icon_smile.gif

wow, i can definitely see that the supplies would cost more than $30 for this one. You can use the per serving price as your base price, but once you start adding cost (those cookies for sure) then your price needs to increase too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #7 of 12

What everyone else said. Even a 6" round cake serves 12, and $2.50 is crazy-low for fondant. And then extras like leaves (more than say 3) and cookies on the outside get charged extra.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:07am
post #8 of 12

UP YOUR PRICE!! too low! People will pay it if they really want it!!

Rhiannon1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannon1121 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:54am
post #9 of 12

Thanks ladies and fellas(sorry didn't double check names)!! Yes it is the fall cake in my pix, I thought I attached a picture, I guess not. I did make it bigger (8") because I figured I might as well "don't wanna waste the batter..." Ok so anytime I add cookies I need to up my price....check...fondant..how much more do I charge? I feel like I totally screwd this one up!!! UGH icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:29am
post #10 of 12

I would have charged atleast twice that! What a bargain for them, such a lovely cake!

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:47am
post #11 of 12

Your charge should match how many servings in the cake not how many guests at the party because that is irrelevant. Does that make sense? icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 6:33am
post #12 of 12

An 8" cake serves 24. I charge $4 per serving for fondant, so my base price for that would have been $96. Then another $15 for the cookies and extra leaves.

As for your prices, well, only YOU can figure that out. I buy a fair amount of my supplies wholesale.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%