Very Upset - Mob Called From Venue - Cake Was Leaning

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 8:41pm by Kitagrl

nadiacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:34pm
post #31 of 41

indydebi

We actually had to make a checklist sheet to cover situations EXACTLY like that. IE- Look the client dead in the eye and explain that the stand is THEIR responsibilty, regardless of who returns it and that the person who does return the stand is the one who gets the deposit- so send someone you trust who's gonna give you your $100!

We've actually had to threaten to call the police and report stands stolen a few times! That was back in the day when we used to just take a credit card number for the stands. People would cancel the card before we could charge it when it didn't get returned. One time, after calling for days on a stand, then trying to charge the card only to find out it was cancelled, we finally drove over there (stand was rented the following week to a bride who's design was dependant on it and it could not be replaced in time). The man who answered the door said his mom had it in her car and she wasn't there blah blah blah. My husband told her "Ok. Well just so you know, we're going to report this stolen today so you might want to let her know."

The guys was like "Hold on." He goes inside for a minute and then comes out with car keys and low and behold, the cake stand is in the trunk of the car right there in the driveway. People are so ghetto.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:45pm
post #32 of 41

[quote="indydebi"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadiacakes

uh, sorry dude! "Returned" is defined as when it is back in my hands. Dad told me "I gave it to the groomsman." I told dad to collect his deposit from the groomsman, then, snice it was the groomsman's (lack of) action that caused the problem and cost dad the deposit.

Amen!

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:46pm
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadiacakes

indydebi

We actually had to make a checklist sheet to cover situations EXACTLY like that. IE- Look the client dead in the eye and explain that the stand is THEIR responsibilty, regardless of who returns it and that the person who does return the stand is the one who gets the deposit- so send someone you trust who's gonna give you your $100!

We've actually had to threaten to call the police and report stands stolen a few times! That was back in the day when we used to just take a credit card number for the stands. People would cancel the card before we could charge it when it didn't get returned. One time, after calling for days on a stand, then trying to charge the card only to find out it was cancelled, we finally drove over there (stand was rented the following week to a bride who's design was dependant on it and it could not be replaced in time). The man who answered the door said his mom had it in her car and she wasn't there blah blah blah. My husband told her "Ok. Well just so you know, we're going to report this stolen today so you might want to let her know."

The guys was like "Hold on." He goes inside for a minute and then comes out with car keys and low and behold, the cake stand is in the trunk of the car right there in the driveway. People are so ghetto.

Wow! the things people do.... icon_rolleyes.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:17pm
post #34 of 41

Could those who run a cake decorating business make their customers sign a waiver/agreement? One that covers the contraindications of supplying their own stand ie; supplying own stand automatically voids warrenty type of thing! Maybe also include in the agreement a list of care/instructions that highlight the 'do's and donts' of looking after the cake post delivery. That way they are signing a type of contract that states they understand the terms and conditions prior to their purchase.

Chin up hun.. these situations are going to happen in business and by the sounds of things you handled yourself proffessionally icon_smile.gif Be proud of yourself and stand tall and understand that you have learnt from this situation and it will only help you out in the future.

nadiacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:53pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecupcake

Could those who run a cake decorating business make their customers sign a waiver/agreement? One that covers the contraindications of supplying their own stand ie; supplying own stand automatically voids warrenty type of thing! Maybe also include in the agreement a list of care/instructions that highlight the 'do's and donts' of looking after the cake post delivery. That way they are signing a type of contract that states they understand the terms and conditions prior to their purchase.

Chin up hun.. these situations are going to happen in business and by the sounds of things you handled yourself proffessionally icon_smile.gif Be proud of yourself and stand tall and understand that you have learnt from this situation and it will only help you out in the future.

We have this on our contract. Its part of the bullet point converstaion we have with people at their consultation. AND we take pictures, front and back of every cake that is made to prove the condition it was in when it left. Learned that the hard way.

That phone call she got is the WORST. I once got a call from a venue letting me know that the tail of the airplane grooms cake I did fell off. I had to come fix it in front of a whole room of guests who were making cracks about what a bad sign it was for the marrigae! HORRIBLE! And the worst pasrt is, I dropped the cake off and then stuck around for 45 minutes chatting with the florist and nothing was wrong with the cake. Then the second I leave the tail breaks off. I think someone touched it personaly.

Anyhow, the MOB actually sent me a $100 tip and a$50 gift card to Claim Jumper to thank me for the wonderful job I did on the cakes! After I fixed it, nobody could tell anything was wrong with it. But my heart just sank when I got that call. So horrible to know that something that you spent days working on just fell apart.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:55pm
post #36 of 41

Cathy, just wanted to drop off some (((hugs))) of encouragement for you...I know you must still be feeling awful icon_sad.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:34am
post #37 of 41

Thank you all for your replies.
No word from the bride but she's off on her honeymoon so who knows if I will hear something in a week or two (or later when her pictures come back from her photographer).

I am trying to get past that feeling of not wanting to do another cake for a while.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:32pm
post #38 of 41

Wow Cathy - thanks for posting as there is a lot of good advice here. I havent been asked for a wedding cake yet, but shutter sometimes the thought. I believe that if and when I do, I will deliver and camp out somewhere in the room, maybe behind a plant and become a spy for my creation - LOL. So many things can happen in such a short time. Unless you have done cakes, the general person has no idea! They arent bumping into a solid structure - they are bumping into a fragile creation. (not saying this is what happened to your cake) I believe we could pour our hearts out, give them books, pictures, and it still wouldnt register. I only started doing cakes in March 2010 - no classes - self taught - and I can honestly say that I conduct myself totally different in a room where there is that awesome creation in the corner. Somewhere there is a lady or man that spent countless hours in mind and labor that deserves lots of credit.

Bless you Cathy - and please dont let this get you down.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:47pm
post #39 of 41

I really think if they wanted a refund someone would have complained by now....the mother, or someone? I usually feel like "no news is good news"....

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:34pm
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I really think if they wanted a refund someone would have complained by now....the mother, or someone? I usually feel like "no news is good news"....

I'm hoping this is the case. According to her FB posts they did just get back a day or two ago so who knows if she is just getting back into the swing of things or have decided they are over it. They are both so nice so I am hopeful the whole thing is behind me.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 8:41pm
post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I'm hoping this is the case. According to her FB posts they did just get back a day or two ago so who knows if she is just getting back into the swing of things or have decided they are over it. They are both so nice so I am hopeful the whole thing is behind me.

Oh I'm sure its fine then!!!! I've had a few weddings I've waited with bated breath...but most of the problems you read about on CC are people who called the day of the wedding, or the day after, to complain about a disaster...you're probably okay!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%