Can You Mail Cookies?

Baking By tsal Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 1:24am by BlakesCakes

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 11

Dh wants me to prepare 'boxes' of cookies (containing 4 or so) to be mailed out to his clients around holiday time.

Is this a good idea? How would I package them so they wouldn't get damaged?[/quote]

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 11

take a look at this tutorial. it's for a cookie boquet, but i follow the same steps when shipping them individually wrapped too. Bubble wrap and more bubble wrap icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/articles/127/how-to-package-ship-cookie-bouquets

i should mention, i put each cookie individually into a cello bag, tie with ribbon the wrap in bubble wrap.

emmasgrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmasgrandma Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 11

at one time it was illegal to send food through the mail in Canada, I would check with your post office icon_smile.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 11

Leily: thanks for the link! I will check it out!

Emmasgrandma: I just checked canadapost.com and food can be mailed (they even have detailed instructions for how to package eggs!!). I'm going to call on Monday just to be sure though.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 11

I think if they are packaged well enough and aren't going to the other side of the world then they will get there just fine!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:31am
post #6 of 11

I shipped cookies last month and again this month. Both boxes arrived with the cookies intact- with the exception of 1 or 2 small music notes. I put those in there just to have a fragile shape to see if would arrive okay.

Shipping was expensive, though. $9 the first time and $11 the second time. I shipped Priority mail so they would arrive in 2 days.

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

take a look at this tutorial. it's for a cookie boquet, but i follow the same steps when shipping them individually wrapped too. Bubble wrap and more bubble wrap icon_smile.gif

i should mention, i put each cookie individually into a cello bag, tie with ribbon the wrap in bubble wrap.

Do you still do the shrink wrap when they are individually bagged? I would think the shrink wrap would crush the packages. You do individually bubble wrap them, though, right?

I'm about to ship pink ribbon cookies and want to be sure they arrive in tact. I tried to ship baby onsies a while back and lost some of the sleeves though I thought they were very stable when packed (didn't shift much).

Thanks!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCreativeCookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Do you still do the shrink wrap when they are individually bagged? I would think the shrink wrap would crush the packages. You do individually bubble wrap them, though, right?

I'm about to ship pink ribbon cookies and want to be sure they arrive in tact. I tried to ship baby onsies a while back and lost some of the sleeves though I thought they were very stable when packed (didn't shift much).

Thanks!

You're right, i should have looked at that link again as it's been awhile sincei actually read it. For individual cookies i wrap each one in a cello bag individually, wrap one layer of bubble wrap around it and then stand the cookies vertically in the box. I do put one layer of peanuts or bubble wrap on the bottom so the cookies aren't touching the outside of the box. Once all the cookies are in there i put more bubble wrap around them between the box edges and the cookies or use the packing peanuts. Then put one more layer on top (so once packed it's like your box is lined with bubble wrap or packing peanuts then your cookies in the middle)

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:09am
post #9 of 11

I would not send anything via USPS if I wanted it to get there in one piece. Even when you mark your box fragile, it doesn't always mean anything to them. If you are so blessed to have some one who is consious of what the mail says that passes through their hands it might get less abuse through part of the cycle, but that doesn't mean it will get it all the way. If I have no other choice I will send it to them if it isn't something that can get broken. Like a book. Even then I wrap and double wrap. I send stuff through Fed Ex and I get excellent customer service and feel at peace about shipping with them. BY the way I used to work for the USPS so I do have some foreknowledge of what I am talking about. I worked where the mail is sorted at the GMF. Good luck.

Also if the others are talking about the tutorial on shipping cookies the shrink wrap shouldn't be a problem as it is only shrink wrapped after being wrapped in Bubble wrap twice. Once individually and then again as a bouquet before being shrink wrapped. The shrink wrap would just guaranteel that they would not be moving around within the bouquet and hitting each other and breaking. If it were just bubble wrapped once I would see there could be some further damage.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:16am
post #10 of 11

If they arrived in Two days count yourself as very blessed. The post office does not refund money except for overnight delivery. They will tell you that it is supposed to get there in two days and they let you pay for it believing it will, but if it doesn't they come back with the only refund we give is for overnight delivery. I had spent $75.00 to send 3 packages priority mail because I did not have a choice in the timing of them. They were all supposed to arrive with in 3-4 days at most to their destinations. and one arrived in 4 days, one in 8 and one in 11 days. The above is the response I got when I went back to the post office to complain. That is the second experience of many I have had with them. I of course am not dumb enough to mail stuff priority mail after that. I send only what I have to send through the USPS and nothing more.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:24am
post #11 of 11

I've mailed cookies using the USPS, Priority Mail from OH to NJ. The price was very reasonable and they arrived in 2 days. This won't matter to a Canadian, though.......

I try to use lightweight packing and I think that bubble wrap can get heavy when you use enough of it.

I take a box larger than the size of what I need for the cookies and put some fluffy, uber cheap toilet paper into the bottom (let it run off the roll, leaving it fluffy). In the box that will actually hold the cookies, I do the same, but with less paper. I take the individually bagged cookies and put each one into a "nest" of TP. I put more fluffy TP on top of this and add the box top. I tape it shut. You should be able to pick it up, shake it, and hear NOTHING. I place this in the larger box, fill any voids and over the top with more cheap TP, and seal.

I sent decorated shoes and purses with cut-out handles and had no breakage.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%