How Do I Make A Star Shape Cake W/o A Star Tin?

Decorating By VizayCakes Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 11:51pm by FlourPots

VizayCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VizayCakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 7

hey everyone....
i have to make a cake for a family member an they would love the shape of the cake to b a star....i was just wondering if anybody knew any tips on how to cut out the shape the best way?....
any tips would b awsome, thanx

6 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 7

If you don't have a star-shaped pan, you will have to carve the shape. I would start with the largest square pan you have and then make a parchment template of a star that fits on that cake. You may have to "play" with the template size and placement so that you get the most cake you can after carving.

It is easier to carve really cold/almost frozen cake. You can always turn the scraps into cake balls to serve at the party.

HTH
Kristy

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 7

If you are going to make cake balls with your star cake, you could cut a small fondant star to place on top of the cake balls.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 7

I'm making a carved star cake and I will make a template...start with my computer and make it the size I want...print it, cut it out, then I use clear packaging tape over the entire image, front and back and use it as a template.

I do this with any of my carved cakes.

VizayCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VizayCakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 7

http://clumbsycookie.blogspot.com/2009/02/when-you-wish-upon-star.html

i just found this awsome page...
saves having to make up temp's an looks really easy...its def how i am going to make mine i think...but will mess around with it abit so i get the points a lil bigger/longer/pointer icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 9:55am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizayCakes

http://clumbsycookie.blogspot.com/2009/02/when-you-wish-upon-star.html

i just found this awsome page...
saves having to make up temp's an looks really easy...its def how i am going to make mine i think...but will mess around with it abit so i get the points a lil bigger/longer/pointer icon_smile.gif

This was very cool! You could mess with the different sized round cake pans and see what you come up with. I would work it out on paper by tracing different sized cake pans and see what I could come up with. That website was very nice and I like seeing things I've never seen before, thanks!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 7

I posted about making a star template on this thread...scroll down a bit, there's a pic: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=666287&highlight=star

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%