Has Any One Seen This Technique?

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm by Mb20fan

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 24

I think this is so cool, I wounder how much I would suck at it if I tried!

23 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 24

I have never seen this technique before, that is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!
P.S. You never really know until you try! F.Y.I: The Titanic was built by professionals, The Arc was built by amateurs!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 24

I have done this before,,but honestly,,it's a lot more work. Plus not real smooth.

Cool video though!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 24

I'm not impressed. The surface could have been smoothed out with a spatula (seeing lines piped all over the surface is no different that filling in with a grass tip, IMO... not very appealing). The sides aren't smooth either. Writing last on top of everything makes a lot more sense than trying to fill in all around it... would have stood out more and looked a lot better that way too.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:15am
post #5 of 24

i think it's a super cool technique! great video!! don't think i will be attempting this any time soon though!! can you spell wrist pain!! wow-koodos to her! thanks for posting!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:40am
post #6 of 24

It was a great looking cake. I don't think I could make that same cake design, using the same decorating techniques, look as good as she did on my first attempt...probably not even my 10th attempt.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 24

I know, that woman can draw! I know the cake might not be a pretty as foundant type work, but you be able to free hand draw like that... that is a lot different then using tools to cut out shapes!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 24

my hand got a cramp just watching that...lol

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks for sharing the video...

Look at her "Zelda" cake, it is CRAZY with all the pipping... icon_eek.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

holy cow that's awesome. my wrist would give out 1/2 hr into it.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #11 of 24

Ha ha, I just drew 24 lil mouths on cup cakes and that about killed me! ... I could make a prevy joke about her wrist abilities, but I believe this would be the wrong forum for such things lol!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:08am
post #12 of 24

She's a talented piper. I just don't think the cakes are very pretty when they're done. They look like harder versions of star tip cakes.

mimmablue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimmablue Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:16am
post #13 of 24

I liked the Zelda cake before all the colour went on...

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:48am
post #14 of 24

what tip do you think she uses when filling in? the black outline looks like maybe a #2.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:39am
post #15 of 24

Lemme see now...first she crumb coats (on an un-leveled cake), then sketches on the crumb coat (perhaps using a cake projector for the pattern?) then she pipes outlines and finally fills in. Seems like about 4 times the work necessary imo .

I agree with Ruth0209... she is talented at piping, but I don't think the cakes are very pretty when completed.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:08am
post #16 of 24

Okay, so the finish is not smooth, but all cakes do not have to be smooth!...it's a technique that gives her cakes a different mosaic-like quality that I quite like (on the Zelda cake particularly). She's obviously very skilled with a piping bag. I wouldn't even DREAM of piping something like that - I could feel my hands getting RSI just watching!!

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:26am
post #17 of 24

She is very obviously skilled (I suck at drawing) and there is probably no limit to what she can design in buttercream on a sheet cake (or shaped/stacked cake) but I do have to agree, it seems like a LOT of work for a flat cake. I wonder why she doesn't use some kind of color flow something for it to REALLY look like stained glass? That would be pretty cool!
LOVED the Zelda cake though. And, I haven't seen her technique before anywhere, which means in my book she came up with a new sort of technique, and that's ALWAYS welcome in my book.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm
post #18 of 24

I too liked the Zelda cake better before she added color.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:01pm
post #19 of 24

If she can freehand that beautifully, why, oh why would she fill it in after she does all the outlines instead of the other way around?

She could make a living just doing black on white cakes--forget the color.

Thanks, OP, for sharing that--it was fascinating.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:15pm
post #20 of 24

definitely a talent that I so not have. It is not something that I prefer, but wouldn't dog the technique. It is almost like a comic page! All that piping would turn to mush if I did it, that's for sure!

Girl definitely has mad skills on drawing! Give her props even if you do not like the way she does it!

Be careful not to judge, just because it is not how you would do it. It doesn't mean it is not legit or that she doesn't have extreme talent. People are obviously buying her cakes, since she has a bakery, which is more than I can say for myself!

Stephanie

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #21 of 24

wow! I like the cakes and the talent. wish i had that kind of patience and that kind of talent.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:06pm
post #22 of 24

Before the Kopy cake machines came out and airbrushes were just getting popular with cake decorating.."Bake in the Day" LOL we would take a sheet of mylar paper an electric hot tool with pencil tip (used for leather work) u would enlarge your design to the size desired place it under a piece of clear glass place mylar over the glass and make pin holes or small "dashes" threw the mylar to outline the design. You ice cake "crusting buttercream" smooth lay mylar over the icing and spray black over the mylar, when you lift the mylar Voila- your design is on the icing. Then fill colors in with airbrush or soft buttercream and small round tips(depending on the size of the design. Airbrush of course was quicker. Once all of the colors are in you take a #1 tip with soft black buttercream and outline your work. It look just like a picture and kinda three dimensional. Losts of fun!!!!! But now we have those copy machine that do all the work icon_sad.gif

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:41pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

No Way Id go there! LOL

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm
post #24 of 24

Ugh! Can't get onto youtube at work. I'm so curious - will try to see this when I get home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%