Xmas Questions From A Newbie!!

Decorating By jimmers Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 2:09pm by Caths_Cakes

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 10:54am
post #1 of 4

Hi there. I'm thinking ahead for the numerous christmas cakes I have this year and was hoping a couple of you pros could help me out with a few questions I have!!??

1) I've made them already with the intent of feeding them, have I made them too early??? I'm not a fruit cake gal and it seems wrong to keep for so long!! Should I be freezing or is well wrapped ok???

2) Regarding fondant made decorations like holly, ivy etc, if I make them now will they still be edible come christmas time?? On this note, how long will they still be edible for? I use store bought fondant and tylose

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 11:11am
post #2 of 4

If its fruit cake, you can keep it for a good long time, the longer the better icon_smile.gif I wrap my cakes in greaseproof paper, Then a double layer of tin foil , i bring them out once a week to feed them with Brandy and other good stuffs icon_smile.gif i make all mine in September ready to give out at xmas icon_smile.gif

I usually make the decorations, Early on too, usually just after Halloween. They will set brittle hard eventually, and wont really be edible anymore. But , the small pieces wont make much difference, but if your making bigger things like flowers, and figures then they will need time any way to set up

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you. I had read fruit cake would keep for ages but I'm so funny bout food :/ Mine are double greaseproofed and double foiled so hopefully I'm on the right track!! Thanks for the info on the decorations, just trying to be slightly organised seen as though I'm sure my 2 little uns will make sure that the run up to christmas gives me plenty to do!!. Never done christmas cakes before so thanks for the advice X

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 4

No problem icon_smile.gif im the same as you, my little boy keeps me very busy as well as everything else icon_smile.gif last year i did 3d toppers for all my xmas cakes, This year in doing 2d patchwork cutter toppers icon_smile.gif making them all in advance the week after halloween icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%