How Do I Make A Sponge In A Pyrex Dish?

Baking By shellmoore85 Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm by Sucrea

shellmoore85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellmoore85 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 10:09am
post #1 of 12

i need to make the dress for a barbie doll and dont really want to pay out for the tin, ive heard you can make it in a pyrex dish, is this right? and how do i do it? microwave or oven? and what mearuements of ingredients do i need? thanks. x

11 replies
lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 12

I cook mine in the oven, as for the measurements it depends on the size of the bowl

shellmoore85 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 12

i aint got a clue what size dish to do it in. as it is in lts and i need it by inches. im new to all this and feel useless at the min. x

lynndy-lou Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:18am
post #4 of 12

do you make your cakes from scratch or a box mix?

shellmoore85 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 12

from scratch usually, x

lynndy-lou Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 12

Ok then I might be able to help, just get your bowls out and put the doll against it to choose the size. If you let me know the size of the bowl I may be able to help

shellmoore85 Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 12

thanks so much hun. im going to get it next week so will let you know, ive done one b4 but cut it out myself and was so hard lol. x

shellmoore85 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 12

well i brought my bowl today, ive brought a 1ltr pyrex bowl, what measurements do i use and is it best to do in the microwave or oven? thanks. x

lynndy-lou Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 12

I go by how many eggs there are in your recipe, I would use a recipe that requires 2 eggs and cook in the oven.

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 12

I use my pyrex bowls all the time for balls and barbie dresses. I fill the bowl about 2/3 of the way up. I bake at 300. Time varies depending on what kind of cake I am making and which bowl I am using. I usually start out at 40 mins. It almost always takes more time. Make sure you spray it with cooking spray and remove from the bowl after about 5 minutes. I have left the cake in the bowl longer and it seems to soak up lots of moisture and becomes soggy. Good luck!!

shellmoore85 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 12

what measurements do you use hun? x

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 12

I use a doctored WASC cake most of the time(family favorite). One betty crocker cake mix, 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup sour cream, 3 eggs, 1 cup of water, 1 tbsp almond, 1 tbsp vanilla. (I omit the sugar that most people put in the WASC. I have diabetics in the family and try to keep out as much of the stuff I can get away with.) This will make 2 of the 1L pyrex bowls. If I only need one, I make cupcakes to give away. Sorry I don't have a scratch recipe that I have tried with it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%