Hello guys

So please tell me what else can I do to get flawless fondant

I tort and fill my cakes
Let it sit overnight in the fridge
trim and crumbcoat the following day
Let get cold again in fridge
Add fondant and decorate
Next day cake is due

Should my icing that I use to dam be super stiff?
Should I apply pressure to the cake as it sits?
Shoudl I roll the fondant thicker
I'm not sure what else to do
Any help is appreciated

I could not add as an attachment so check out my gallery. It is a square wedding cake with aqua and black colors.

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:25am
post #2 of 5

First question - why is the cake in the fridge? That will stiffen the filling, so it won't settle properly until it comes to room temp again - when u cover in fondant - so u getthe bulge. I don't know, but if it *has* to b in the fridge, look up leahs post about using a tile/ weight to speed up settling.

The damn should be really thick, I believe a lot of people aim for it to be thick enough to roll into a ball. But thicker fondant won't help.
xx

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:49am
post #3 of 5

I personally find that when using ganache under fondant, I never had a problem with bulging. I use gustards as fillings without dams and never had a problem. If you are using buttercream, then a dam is a must.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:49am
post #4 of 5

Ooops, sorry, I meant custard.

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your responses.Rylan I may have to try the ganache. The fact that you don't even use a dam shows how ganache may be the way to go. I have the planet cake book, I will check it out.

Maybe I need to make my dams thicker It is not really rollable. You know brincess I left the cakes out with some weight on them too (for a few hours). I had a fruit filling in one of them thats why I tried to keep them in the fridge.

I just want to get to the point where I don't have to worry about bulging icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%