post #1 of 27

Who's up?

Watcha workin' on?

Don't be a lurker!

26 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:31am
post #2 of 27

I only have one wedding cake this weekend, already delivered! Four tier, Damask design.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 27

I'm up but no cakes tonight. Just dropping in to say "HI!" to everyone and that I hope their cakes cooperate tonight.

I will be playing over the weekend with something Halloween as a secret pal gift for the president of my MOMS club.

Kristy

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #4 of 27

I'm making about six cakes to donated for a Breast Cancer Awareness Shopping day! It's a bunch of vendors like Pampered Chef and Creative Memories that are getting together. My friend asked if I could make some yummies to munch on. So, I'm also making petite fours and brownies. I offered the cakes to use as door prizes.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:54am
post #5 of 27

Had a Justin Beiber cake, finished and delivered!! But leah I have a question for you. I baked a scratch pound cake in my home oven and it rose just fine but when I did it at a convection oven it didn't rise as ell. I made the adjustment of dropping the temp lower than my home oven other than that what suggestions do you have to remedy that?

leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:54am
post #6 of 27

Cakes and good works. A perfect combo!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:02am
post #7 of 27

The only cake I had this week was a carved spiral cake for a retirement dinner last night. No others for this week which works out really well, since this weekend is our WOS here in New York! Yay!!! I have been waiting for this for a while. So excited, I won't be able to sleep!

leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:06am
post #8 of 27

Cool!

What's up with the rest of you lurkers?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:09am
post #9 of 27

I just finished (as far as I am able) what is a really simple cake. Too bad random acts of crapness hit my kitchen this week. Buttercream separating, then it wouldn't crust. Got the best corners I've ever had, though. Woo hoo!

The fondant would not cooperate (Rhonda's MMF). I tried rolling it on cornstarch, adding a bit of water, adding more corn syrup, adding shortening, and even got desperate and mixed it with Satin Ice. I added vanilla to that because Satin Ice smells and tastes like Playdough (at least my container does). It still was not workable. After kneading in this and that for an hour (I swear! I timed it. I was afraid I would start sweating into the fondant.) I gave up and made a batch of plain ol' MMF.

I got that rolled out and it definitely did not stick to my vinyl mat. In fact, I had to quickly flop it onto the cake because it was either there or the floor. Two of the corners ripped and there's a tear in the side. I tried shortening, water, melting some fondant in water for glue, and finally heated up my new craft iron to try to repair it. Now those areas are darker than the rest of the fondant.

I gave up and made some decor to at least partially cover the ugly. Bah! icon_sad.gif

I have to leave at 5 a.m. tomorrow to deliver the cake, RKT, Brownies, etc.... We are feeding the Marching 110 between the Homecoming Parade and the game. I think I'll stick the cake at the back of the table.

Next week: find a new MMF recipe.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:09am
post #10 of 27

Just playing with my first batch of candy clay and trying not to eat all the flowers as I make them... icon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:15am
post #11 of 27

awwww, cheatize, bummer. I really like Satin Ice. Although lately I've been using PettinIce. It's quite soft, though.

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:17am
post #12 of 27

I just finished up 2 cakes:

3 tier zebra print with lime green and hot pink accents
3 tier "missing slice cake" (if that is what you call it) Actually a 2 tier with one slice removed from the top tier, decorated, then stacked on top.

The both came out really cute.

Now I am icing and decorating 3 dozen cupcakes. I should have been finished a long time ago, but somehow I LOST half of a batch of buttercream!!! I know it was on my countertop 4-5 hours ago, but now it is gone.....I guess I moved it somewhere really ridiculous and will probably find it in a few weeks!

ellangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellangel Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:17am
post #13 of 27

Hi Everyone,

No cakes for me this friday. Just stopping by to see what everyone else is up to.

I hope all goes well for all who are working on cakes. And thumbs up to Beckup for the cakes for Breast Cancer Awareness. That is awesome!

Pieceofcake830, what is WOS? Just curious.

Have a great evening everyone!

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:18am
post #14 of 27

No cakes for this weekend, but all is well. It's that little thing called house cleaning for me. You all have a good weekend.

leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:20am
post #15 of 27

Weekend Of Sharing, I think.

Cakers get together for various learning opportunities.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:24am
post #16 of 27

We just celebrated my Mom's birthday tonight and I made her a teapot cake that was coconut with kahlua buttercream and I made my first teacup & saucer.
It was a cake that truly was a labor of love & my Mom loved it.
Haven't been able to attach pics but there is a picture of it in my photos.
I did a Chicago Blackhawks logo as well this week and tried my hand at making a anemone flower to top a girlfriends birthday cake for Sunday. Have a wonderful weekend everyone! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:25am
post #17 of 27

Is Pettinice as soft as Fondarific? I've got some black Fondarific and I cannot imagine covering a cake with something that soft.

tmgarcia: I feel ya'! I'm on week 3 of stuff like that. Last week I couldn't find the words to finish a sentence. I thought it was because I was on week 2 of insomnia. However, this week I'm finally sleeping and things are still all wacky. I bet your buttercream is in the dryer or something weird that you don't even remember doing.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:25am
post #18 of 27

I am having a rough time in the cake kitchen tonight. icon_mad.gif Working on what should be a very easy 1/2 sheet cake, but all is going to Heck in a hand bag. icon_evil.gif Like cheatize, my buttercream is seperating, and nothing is working in my favor.
I tried to color some BC gray. Seems pretty simple. icon_twisted.gif Black and white make gray. Well not in my kitchen tonight. It turned violet. Came to the trusty CC site to see what others have done to correct the problem, and saw that someone had added just a tiny touch of green. Did that and it looked great, but as it sat, it turned a light blue. Couldn't get my BC smooth. Tried every technique under the moon and still not really satisfied with the end result.
The really bad thing is, this is my First paid cake. Became legal Monday and this is the first order. icon_cry.gif I am about to throw the towel in and just let the lady have the cake. She will pick it up at 1:00 tomorrow, so maybe things will start turning around.
If anywone has any advice, I am open to all suggestions.

leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:26am
post #19 of 27

cake and party girl, I just saw your question.

hmmm . . . Pound cake rises and domes by design. It's a combination of strong flour (all purpose) and a bit of overmixing (beating the batter 15-20 minutes) plus fairly high temp so that the outer edges set first and force the middle up. You know, basically the opposite of everything you normally do. So although you do need to turn the temp down in convection, probably only the minimum amount. If the recipe/formula calls for 375 normal, then use 350 convection and see if that works. It will be done *fast* so keep an eye on it.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:55am
post #20 of 27

I have 3 cakes this weekend. Already delivered 2 and it sooo feels like Saturday instead of Friday. Anyway had a 3 tier hello Kitty Cake, a Justin Bieber cake and then a 2 tier Zebra cake hot pink for pick up at 2 tomorrow. I did use the "jello" added to the mmf today on the hello Kitty cake and I have to say I really liked the way it tasted and the pliability was in between Satin Ice and Fondarific. I used the strawberry jello and barely had to add any icing color.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:00am
post #21 of 27

I'm a true member tonight! My son's 4 tier wedding cake is beautifully iced and on the counter. Black fondant leaves made. All equipment packed and ready to take out the door tomorrow afternoon, where I will assemble and add the black fondant decors at the venue. All white cake .... all torted .... each layer has 3 different fillings: choc/rasp/white bc so it will look beautiful when it's cut!

You might remember my last wedding cake (for my wedding planner friend) had me in fits as I threatened to throw the 6" across the room because I had to re-ice it about 4 times!

but tonight ..... it all went well! I even debated on if I even HAD to melvira it or not (and you all know that I ALWAYS melvira my cakes!) because the icing just totally cooperated!

So I'm totally offline tomorrow and will post pics as soon as I can! thumbs_up.gif

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:08am
post #22 of 27

indydebi, Glad everything went smoothly for you tonight.
Whishing you a wonderful day tommorrow. Can't wait to see the pictures. Beenie icon_smile.gif

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:26am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCreation

I have 3 cakes this weekend. Already delivered 2 and it sooo feels like Saturday instead of Friday. Anyway had a 3 tier hello Kitty Cake, a Justin Bieber cake and then a 2 tier Zebra cake hot pink for pick up at 2 tomorrow. I did use the "jello" added to the mmf today on the hello Kitty cake and I have to say I really liked the way it tasted and the pliability was in between and Fondarific. I used the strawberry jello and barely had to add any icing color.

Is there a recipe for the jello MMF? Do you add it to the hot melted marshmellows? How much did you put?

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:31am
post #24 of 27

I did a beach scene cake for a friend of the family. Tomorrow, or should I say later today it's to infinity and beyond - Buzz Lighteryear/Halloween cake.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:31am
post #25 of 27

I am working on some little purses for cupcakes tomorrow. This is my first time making them, but it is fun. I am trying new stuff with every cake/cupcake, so I can learn as much as I can. Luckily I am a hobby baker so they are just for family and friends. This gives me lots of artistic freedom. I don't know what I will do when I have to do a cake just as someone ordered if I ever do become a legal business.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:40am
post #26 of 27

No cakes this weekend ... however I do have 2 cakes coming up; one for each of the next two weekends so I've got some final planning to do this weekend. Next weekend is a drum set cake for my cousin's 15th birthday (his birthday is ON Halloween, lucky us); that party just sprung up today. Then the following weekend I've got a small tiered cake for a kiddie Halloween party that my friend is throwing for her boys.

Have a great weekend everyone!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:43am
post #27 of 27

have a small two tier (5/7) that i'm working on. Pretty easy. They sent me this pic from CC that i'm using as my inspiration, it will be pretty similiar.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1305316.html

Thankfully it's an easy design b/c i'm home alone with my two kids tonight and they didn't cooperate and go to bed early. I'm hoping to get everything but the bows on before my 4 month old wakes up in about an hour to eat, then we can all go to bed and I can wake up early to clean the house b/c grandparents are coming from out of town to visit in the morning and still have to clean the house (plus the mess i'm making in the kitchen)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%