Deer Antlers

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 3:08am by awatterson

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a hunting cake for next week and would like to make antlers that will stick out of the top of the cake.

I have 2 questions please -

What would the best medium be - fondant/tylos, fondant/gumpaste or straight gumpaste?

How early can I make them? I'd like to do on Sunday but wondered if they would dry out too much by Saturday.

Thank you for your help!

8 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 9

I dont have the answer, but would like to know also...

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4beatles

I am doing a hunting cake for next week and would like to make antlers that will stick out of the top of the cake.

I have 2 questions please -

What would the best medium be - fondant/tylos, fondant/gumpaste or straight gumpaste?

How early can I make them? I'd like to do on Sunday but wondered if they would dry out too much by Saturday.

Thank you for your help!

Hi there if it were me i would use straight gumpaste. I think it depends on how big they are going to be? If you weren't worried about them being edible you could use thick guage flower wires and cover those in RKT and mold them to make the antler shapes, you can then cover the RKT in fondant if you didn't want them all in gumpaste. Cover the RKT in RI or melted chocolate before putting on the fondant so that it will stick to them. The other alternative is to skip the RKT and gumpaste and use modelling chocolate - handy that chocolate is brown antler colour!

If you are going to make in gumpaste or fondant or a mix with tylose then you can make them weeks in advance as they dry hard and won't go bad - like if you were making sugar models or sugar flowers. As long as they are stored away from moisture HTH icon_biggrin.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 9

I made deer antlers for the first time a few months ago (in my photos) and I used allaboutcakeuk's method of covering heavy gauge wire with gumpaste. I made them probably 3 weeks in advance because I wasn't sure how I was going to do it. It worked out ok; but they ended up being very heavy and I had to fight to support them on the cake - something to keep in mind as you decide on your medium. But they were also very BIG too! HTH!

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you for the replies!

Jones - that looks pretty close to what I was thinking but smaller. The top tier is only going to be 6" round so I think I could downsize them.

I've never worked with Gumpast so I think I'll try that - I've ready it's a lighter weight than fondant. I'm not ready to try the RKT yet... icon_smile.gif

I'll be trying this on Sunday - thank you again!!

Anyone with other suggestions please post!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 9

You'll do fine with gumpaste; just remember that it will dry/harden quickly so plan for that or keep a ziplock bag handy (that's what I do). Good luckicon_smile.gif

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 9

I would really recommend using RK Treats and then brushing them with royal icing. This will give you the right texture you're looking for. Then if you hit them with some brown petal dust you'll be able to get that weathered antler look. Just a suggestion, they'll be a lot lighter than using gum paste, they'll dry faster and they'll be more edible, in the sense that they'll taste better. Good luck!

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:57am
post #8 of 9

Years ago I made them using heavy gauge wire--then covered them with masking tape..covered that with tinted royal icing. They were light weight, and I could make some of the tips larger or smaller as needed. Fast easy--could make up way ahead of time.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:08am
post #9 of 9

If you covered the RKT in chocolate it would also give them the antler look and make it stronger.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%