How To Roll Out Fandnat Large Enough To Cover Cake?

Decorating By amygortoncakes Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 9:39pm by Renaejrk

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 8

I have made a few cakes where the bottom tier was almost impossible to cover with one piece of fondant. How do you roll it out big enough to cover some bottom tiers? On one of mine I ended up doing it in two pieces because I was wrapping the edges with ribbons like a present and it covered up the seam. But without a sheeter, which I know we all wished we had in our kitchens...how can you roll it big enough. I have the large wilton rolling pin.

Thanks

7 replies
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

I use a piece of PVC pipe from the hardware store. Just give it a good scrub and then you"re good to go! icon_smile.gif

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 8

So is the trick have a rolling pink larger than the piece you need to roll out?

I noticed my horrible spelling on fondant in the title. Thats what happens when your naked two year old is climbing all over you. LOL

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

So is the trick have a rolling pink larger than the piece you need to roll out?

No, if your rolling pin leaves lines or marks on your fondant, you can use your fondant smoother or the warmth of your hands to "erase" the flaws.

Is this what you're asking or a more specific question about getting fondant onto a large size cake?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 8

You also may want to check out The Mat by Sweetwise (think it is sweetwise dot com, but I'm on someone else's computer right now). Some are using just plastic from the fabric store in the same manner. Makes rolling and transferring large pieces soooooo easy ..... There is a video at the website and one on YouTube.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 8

Used Wilton's, but is so small and always curling up, later rolled directly on my table and use the pin to lift and place over the cake.. soooo difficult for me; now I'm using The Mat from Sweetwise, so glad I bought 2! It's good size, don;t curl up, fondant releases perfectly, the only thing is that took a while to get used to the top mat as I felt it was sliding, but OK now.

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:38am
post #7 of 8

I have a big piece of vinyl and fondant roller without rubber band if I am covering a large cake.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 8

Large sheet of vinyl does the trick for me! I have done VERY large pieces of fondant with no problems!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%