Anyone Tried The Wilton Pillow Shaped Pans?

Decorating By debster Updated 15 Dec 2013 , 11:46pm by Elliot1

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 39

I just saw at Michaels Wilton has 3 pans to make pillow cakes. The are kinda pricey 44.00 but you can use the 50% coupon. What do you all think about using them? I wondered if they would be worth purchasing. Wouldn't have to carve the cake. Also , has anyone done a pillow cake and used buttercream instead of fondant? Thanks for any input. thumbs_up.gif

38 replies
lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 39

I have used them and they were really nice. No problems with them. I like you bought them when I had the 50% off also. Worth it. thumbs_up.gif

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 39

I love mine! I've used them several times. I don't know about just buttercream, but I suppose it could be done. I just have a hard time making it perfect because of the top of the corners, if that makes any sense. I like the effect of the fondant anyway, makes it look more realistic especially if you brush on a pearlized luster dust after... it makes it look like a satin pillow.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 39

I just used them this week, so far so good, they are covered in ganache waiting to put the fondant on tomorrow. I put them together and then covered in ganache, which is not the way wilton says to do it, they cover each piece seperately in fondant then put them together with the filling.
How did everybody else do it?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 39

I love mine! thumbs_up.gif I filled them, then ganache, then fondant, just like I would a regular cake. No carving, no waste. I love them, and my first attempt is in my pictures. icon_lol.gif

tamicat49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamicat49 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 39

I bought the pans w/50% coupon but since I am so new at this I have been afraid to try them. I have not stacked any cakes yet. I'm still trying to get the frosting down.

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 39

The pillow pans will a birthday present to myself icon_biggrin.gif...I intend to purchase them next week with my coupon, of course , and them make myself my birthday cake icon_biggrin.gif. I will try to stack two of them...anybody has any tips? I would appreciate icon_biggrin.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA2RkZgq4JI&feature=related

Check out the above video, it is the frist video of 3 (or maybe 4) videos that shows how to bake, tort, buttercream and fondant cover the pillow pans.

HTH

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 39

oooooooooooh i wan-i wan-i wan- i want! lol.. been wanting them since i saw them come out

debster Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 39

Wow, you all make me want to run in and try mine NOW!!! Glad they will be worth the money.....

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 39

I have used them with no problems. They turn out so cute. No cutting or carving even makes it better!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 39

I love mine. I uploaded a pic of the one I did recently. It's all buttercream. I'm actually going to buy another set to cut down on baking time, that's the only drawback I've had with mine.
Jibbies

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 39

I have them but have not had a chance to use them I can't wait Im glad for this post I feel better about using them now.

Molly icon_smile.gif

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:05pm
post #14 of 39

Debster, thanks for posting the question!
Infinitsky - thanks so much for the link- I won a set of pillow pans a while back and have been studying them, trying to decide how best to use them. Now I'm excited to try them...

GenGen Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:02am
post #15 of 39

i just need to get lucky and get one of those 50% off michaels coupons lol

debster Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 8:17pm
post #16 of 39

Gen Gen .....go to the Michaels website and sign up for their newsletter and stuff and they send coupons via email also, or they are in our Sunday paper. And Michaels honors Joannes coupons and vice versa. I don't sew but I signed up for Joannes adds to come in the mail and they have coupons all the time.

GenGen Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:36am
post #17 of 39

i am signed up for michaels news letters. i dont get the 50% off one that i've seen so far. nice to know they honor joannes- the nearest joannes is an hour away from me and the nearest michaels is 2 hours away (i live in northern idaho lol) thank you icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:53am
post #18 of 39

That's like me with Hobby Lobby I have to drive an hour to get to one. Good luck to you.

GenGen Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:56am
post #19 of 39

keeping the frosting knives crossed! Lol

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:16am
post #20 of 39

I hate mine and would gladly give them away! My corners break off. They get too dry or the center does not bake. did the heat core, a flower nail, nothing, higher temp, lower temp, different recipe, box mix. icon_cry.gif I would rather carve. I am determined to make them work, just not when DH sees all the mess go in the trash icon_redface.gif

cakeaddikt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddikt Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:04am
post #21 of 39

I love mine, I used the 50% off coupon at Michaels as well and I havent had any problems. I hate carving so I was thrilled to get them. Dont know what I would do without them.

GenGen Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:07am
post #22 of 39

jlynnw what are you baking in them? scratch? mix? i've found the mix's some of them get dry on corners like that- like with rectangular pans

Karen421 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:39am
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

I hate mine and would gladly give them away! My corners break off. They get too dry or the center does not bake. did the heat core, a flower nail, nothing, higher temp, lower temp, different recipe, box mix. icon_cry.gif I would rather carve. I am determined to make them work, just not when DH sees all the mess go in the trash icon_redface.gif

I am using the "Durable Cake for 3d and Weddings" . It is a very good recipe, not dry, bakes great and holds up great.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

I bake it on 325 for the small and medium but for the big one I have baked it on 310 for 1 1/2 hours (or until it spring backs and just starts to pull from the side) I also pull more batter to the edges - kinda of making an X in the cake. I did not use the heat core or my flower nail. icon_surprised.gif It baked perfectly - and was very moist.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:53am
post #24 of 39

Karen

I'd like to try that recipe I have the pans but have not used them yet I plan to this coming weekend Thanks for posting were to find that recipe it sound great.

Molly icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:09pm
post #25 of 39

I forgot to mention that when I make chocolate, I cut back on the water and make up the different in strong coffee. icon_lol.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #26 of 39

I recently did a pillow cake that I carved. I don't mind the carving, but I don't really like having to bake bigger, and carve down. It results in a lot of cake for cake truffles lol !!!

What I like about carving is that you get really sharp, pointy corners, and I don't see that in the pillow pan pix I've seen. Anyone out there who has done both? Any thoughts??

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:52pm
post #27 of 39

didn't use the wilton pans, but did use buttercream.. the pic is in my photos. this was one of my first cakes & it went really well!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:17am
post #28 of 39

I just bought the pillow pans and I found that the corners were soooooo dry and hard!! I baked at 325 and used a flower nail....it was the medium size pan. I really want to keep on using them but dont want to have to carve away the ends because its too dry and "crusty" LOL!!

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:47am
post #29 of 39

Go figure, I just put them on the watch list on ebay. I was thinking to buy them, now with all the good reports I think I will go ahead and get them. Alas I'm in Australia so can't get 50% off. icon_sad.gif

Cheers

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 8:36am
post #30 of 39

Go figure, I just put them on the watch list on ebay. I was thinking to buy them, now with all the good reports I think I will go ahead and get them. Alas I'm in Australia so can't get 50% off. icon_sad.gif

Cheers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%