What Do You Do If Cake Is Bigger Than Freezer??

Decorating By Jessy133 Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 1:26pm by Crazboutcakes

Jessy133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessy133 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 13

So I bought a cake pan today and I want to try it out to see how it bakes, etc, and a practice cake. But now when I got home and I looked, the cake pan is a lot bigger than the area I have inmy freezer for cakes.

What do you all do? Do you just leave it to cool really well overnight?

Or should I attempt something else?

12 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 13

what are you wanting to put it in the freezer for?

I typically only freeze my cakes if bake them more than two days in advance. And then it's so they don't go stale on me. I bake my cakes let them cool in the pan 10-15 mins, turn out onto a cooling rack and then let cool completely. I then 1) wrap in seran wrap and leave on the counter or 2) cover with a tea towel (or flour sack towel) until I'm ready to decorate it.

I usually bake my cakes about a week in advance though and then freeze until i decorate. If i had a cake that didn't fit in the freezer then i would do one of the two things above and bake it closer to the time of decorating/delivery

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 13

Ditto everything leily said. Especially the question, "why does it have to go in the freezer?"

Do you have a friend or neighbor who could hold the cake in their freezer until you need it?

Jessy133 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 13

Oh I thought the cake after it was baked should go into the freezer to help it get hard for evening out and for putting the BC crumb coat on it. This is just a practice cake that I am doing not for anyone/anything.

I am just starting to bake more as a side hobby at home. But I wasnt sure about the freezer thing.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 13

I would just leave it out or in the fridge covered in seran wrap. I also like to freeze my cakes before hand so I can trim up the edges without them crumbling on me.

How big is the pan? I just have visions of this enormous pan and someone trying to shove it in their fridge. Its cracking me up...I can totally see myself doing this.

When I did my first real cake it was for my sisters baby shower and I bought a set of 3 pans online. When they arrived I realized I was going to have enough cake to serve like 170 people when only 30 were coming to the party. I went ahead with it, but I had such a hard time rolling out fondant large enough to cover the bottom tier. I just about killed myself doing it.

Jessy133 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

How big is the pan? I just have visions of this enormous pan and someone trying to shove it in their fridge. Its cracking me up...I can totally see myself doing this.

LoL!!! Yes this is me!!! My husband thinks im crazy. Its not a hugee pan its a 16X2. I also bought a set today of 3 square pans. But that last one is way to big for my freezer at least. I only have one small shelf that I have open for my cakes. I have the rest covered with homemade baby food for my twins. So that takes up a lot of room.

Thanks for the reply!!! Maybe if I leave it in the fridge I can cut it without it crumbling on me...i ugess i can only try! icon_wink.gif

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 13

If you have a cake that is too big to fit in the freezer, you have to buy a new freezer!! haha

I am dealing with that problem right now! Trying to find a used top & bottom freezer so I don't have to spend a fortune on a brand new one!

But in all seriousness, if I have a cake too big to fit in the freezer, I bake it the day before I decorate it and wrap it tight in celophane.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 13

I try to get all my cakes in the freezer at least overnight. It makes for better, moister cake.

For a pan/cake that's too big:
Bake cake
turn out to cool
wrap in plastic film
put back into cake pan
turn cake pan sideways or angle it however you need to to get it into the freezer.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 7:39am
post #9 of 13

You could cut it in half, then wrap each half separately and place in freezer. Then join cake parts together before applying crumbcoat and frosting.

You can buy extra large half-round pans for baking, where the technique is to back two, then join two halves together to make one huge tier...so I can't see what the difference would be.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:57am
post #10 of 13

If it is too large for the freezer, are you sure it will fit in your oven? Better check before you fill it with batter. LOL

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 13

Leah_S,

I love your idea, brilliant!

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 13

Leah_S,

I love your idea, brilliant!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:26pm
post #13 of 13

I usually don't freeze my cakes but do set them over night cover in the frig. I find it just as easy and it sets so that it can be cut... just take the exxtra effort to being carefull when your triming it and torting so that i doesn't break, and if it does than break slightly (sometime it does) just piece it back together and crum coat together (it will hold) put back in the frig for about an hour or so and than ice as usual. Cakes are tricky no matter how expereinced you are but I find that this works and you don't have to freeze it. Hope it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%