First Time Using Fondant!!

Decorating By harbormom4 Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 7:49pm by amygortoncakes

harbormom4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harbormom4 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I am going to make a 2 tier present cake for my daughter's 13 birthday tomorrow. I have never used fondant but am confident I can do this!! (I'm pretty crafty at everything else) Only question is "Is their a certain type of cake recipe that I should use? And do I need to make my butter cream or use store bought frosting? I have store bought fondant that I am going to tint and I'm confident about the decorating part. Any help would be great!!

4 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 5

You can use any cake recipe that is sturdy enough to hold up the fondant. When I first started, I would use a straight box mix and it worked ok. Now I use an extender (extra flour, sugar, sour cream, etc) and it's much more sturdy. You can find a White Almond Sour Cream recipe that's yummy by searching WASC under the recipe section of CC. The cool thing about that receipe is that you can tailor it to almost any flavor.

I always make my own buttercream to put under my fondant, I don't purchase regular in a can icing, because it doesn't crust. You want a buttercream that will get crusty to the touch after leaving it out for a little while.

Hope that helps!

harbormom4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harbormom4 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much!!!! I'll post a picture when it's done icon_smile.gif

dellababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellababe Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 5

The first time I worked with fondant I bought it also but if you want to save money and have fondant that tastes awesome here's a link to a very good recipe.
www.whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 5

Some fondant tips to remember:

Grease or powder the surface that you are working on, and do the same for the rolling pin and your hands.

when done rolling out fondant, roll it back onto your rolling pin and and then reroll onto cake. Or roll onto your mat and then lift mat and flip it over onto the cake.

Fondant is only as smooth as the iced cake beneath it. I always seem to rush the icing part.

I have had trouble with rolling out fondant large enough to cover a cake. And after a lot of bad words I finally figured out that I can just cover half the cake and have a seam line that I covered with a ribbon like a present would have. which would fit with your theme.

Other than that I find fondant to be quite forgiving and easy to work with.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%