Need Some Advice On Renting Out My Kitchen

Business By love2makecakes Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 5:43pm by sweetcakes

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 5

So I was recently contacted from a local lady here in my town who works with chocolate confections. Anyway, she obviously knew the laws about selling goods from home are not exceptable in our area and would like to rent out my licensed kitchen (Seperate commerical kitchen, but in my home) for very little time per month and possibly more during holidays, use her own equipement (I'm thinking small detail stuff, not the oven etc.), do her own cleaning... all the stuff you would think one would do. She said she could work around my schedule, sounds great to me. Get paid for kitchen while it is just sitting there...

My questions are...

What to charge for something like this? We are a very small town and doesnt sound like she is doing a large volume or anything.

Will she need (or can she) carry her own insurance even though shop is out of my home.

Are there other things I should know or be concerned about??

When meeting with her are there specific things I should ask her that would help me make a decision on whether this is a good idea or not?


4 replies
deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 5

What a great opportunity for you if it can all work out! The only comment I can make is call your insurance agent to determine your exposure in this situation. Could be that you need a rider on your policy or your company may require specific insurance coverage from her.

Good luck.

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 5

love2makecakes, where in WI are you?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 5

You definitely need to make sure she carries her own liability insurance. Depending on the rules in your county, she may also need to be inspected by the health dept once she starts using your kitchen.

If you are in a low cost of living area, I would recommend charging in the $15-20/hour range. Collect a security deposit up front, and if she leaves equipment at your kitchen I would charge a monthly fee.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 5

since your kitchen is based on your property you may want to check with your city first. I know mine has told me i cannot hire anyone who does not reside here and i cannot rent out the kitchen either. They would have to pay your city for the vendor /business license too if they were able. So check city first, then health dept. just to see if you can rent it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%