Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 12:24am by Sweet_Toof

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 16

Attached is an image of a baby shower cake topper that I made and I'm going to use on a cake for next weekend.
I'm thinking about doing a clothes line around the side of the cake with baby clothing hanging up
Just need some help on what colours I should go with.. I was thinking that the baby and flower is so life-like, that once I add the clothes and clothline, it will look too novelty-like and they may not suit each other?
Also, I'm icing the whole cake with fondant, I thought white may be boring.. any ideas? I was nearly thinking about roughly kneading through a blue colour to give the appearance of a sky - I don't want to over-kill the cake either!

15 replies
Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:06am
post #2 of 16

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1833823.html
THERE WE GO! SORRY I COULDN'T UPLOAD ON THIS FORUM SO THIS IS THE LINK

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 16

I think you may be right on both counts.

First of all the topper is beautiful....and dont think the clothes line around the cake will suit it. To whimsical is what comes to mind.

I do like your idea of the sky blue cake as a base color, perhaps you can do some flowers piped or gumpaste around the outside of the cake to tye in the flower the baby is sleeping in.

Either way I am sure you will do a great job and look forward to seeing the finished cake icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps,

Miss Lizzy

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:53am
post #4 of 16

Oh that is beautiful! I would go with some simple and elegant. May be something like this > http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1832900 in a soft cream color. I look forward to seeing what direction you go in.

Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:04am
post #5 of 16

Thanks for your input guys
I had my heart set on using the baby outfit cutter because I just bought it and its so cute!!
I just know that I could make a mess of the cake if I use it? icon_sad.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:08am
post #6 of 16

Do you think I could get away with it if I made the baby suits yellow and green only? (Since its uni sex and we don't know what the baby is going to be)...... or even if I didn't colour them at all?

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:26am
post #7 of 16

You could always cut them out and have them on hand. Hold them up against the side of the cake and see what you think before you ever glue them on. Then if you like it, add them. If not, then you will have them on hand to use for something else or you could do a few cupcakes in a different flavor and use the baby clothes on them. Just a thought there.
BTW where did you get the baby mold? I have seen that several ppl on here have them and I would really like to have one. TIA!
Vickey

Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:18am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickeyC

You could always cut them out and have them on hand. Hold them up against the side of the cake and see what you think before you ever glue them on. Then if you like it, add them. If not, then you will have them on hand to use for something else or you could do a few cupcakes in a different flavor and use the baby clothes on them. Just a thought there.
BTW where did you get the baby mold? I have seen that several ppl on here have them and I would really like to have one. TIA!
Vickey

First Impressions baby mold from Global Sugar Art !!!! icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 16

Do you think the colour of the icing and some flowers like this may suit?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1834194.html

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 16

Personally, I feel the first photo of the cake topper can't be beat. It's beautiful!
I feel that if you add the primary colors of the barn and flowers, it would be over kill.
that's just my opinion.
Good Luck!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:07am
post #12 of 16

I think if I do go with the clothesline thing, they should have always been pastel colours.
Now its just a matter of will this suit the dark green I've got in that topper?
But also the fact that its so novelty whimsical like with the bad contrast of such a life-like topper. I love them both so much I wanted them together but there's a reason I'm thinking twice!.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

I think if I do go with the clothesline thing, they should have always been pastel colours.
Now its just a matter of will this suit the dark green I've got in that topper?
But also the fact that its so novelty whimsical like with the bad contrast of such a life-like topper. I love them both so much I wanted them together but there's a reason I'm thinking twice!.

Follow your gut instinct!

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:15am
post #14 of 16

Did you use a mold for the baby? If so, could you share where you got it from? Thanks

Sweet_Toof Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:49am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstalder

Did you use a mold for the baby? If so, could you share where you got it from? Thanks

First Impressions baby mold from Global Sugar Art !!!! icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:24am
post #16 of 16

Just wanted to show you how I went with the final outcome.
Not exactly what I had pictured. Luckily it was for my sister not a paying client - all guests rather impressed. Though it is a bit of a worry to think if I was being paid for doing this, the finished outcome would be very different to the intial order.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1843449.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%