How To Make A White Chocolate Cake More White Chocolaty!

Baking By katie_lynn02 Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 7:53pm by conchita

katie_lynn02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie_lynn02 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all, I am making a cake this coming weekend and the recipient asked for a white chocolate cake with dark chocolate filling and milk chocolate chunks (I think she likes chocolate...).

I have a great recipe for the dark chocolate filling (it is a ganache) and I will mix in some milk chocolate pieces. I have tried a few white chocolate cake recipes that I found online, and while they are all fine, they all taste more like a plain white cake and not enough like the "white chocolate" flavour I know she is looking for.

I am tempted to just add more chocolate to receipe, but I am worried that it will cause the consistency to be gooey or not cake-like. I need to cut this cake into the shape of a "C" and have it stand alone on a cake board, so while I don't need it to withold a huge amount of art and shaping, it needs to hold itself and the ganache up and not be pudding-like.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have thought of maybe mixing in white chocolate flakes instead of increasing the melted chocolate portion of the recipe. Thoughts?

On another note, I am new to this site (I look at it ALL the time for ideas but only joined recently) and cannot figure out a way to search for answers in the forum. I am sure I have questions that have already been asked, but not sure how to search without reviewing each of the thousands of subject lines. I did try searching "white chocolate" under the search tab, but it just brought me to pictures and recipes, not forum issues.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

9 replies
Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 10

I make a white chocolate mud cake and add more chocolate than the recipe says, I use water instead of milk and it turns out beautifully (takes awhile to cook though).I let it sit for a day before I carve, brush with sugar syrup and ganache. Am happy to share the recipe, just PM me if you'd like.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 10

When you say, you are thinking of adding "more chocolate" to the white chocolate cake recipe - you do mean more "white chocolate", right? Since white chocolate is not really chocolate, and the flavor of a white chocolate cake is much more subtle - it may play off the dark filling perfectly as is. Have you tasted the combination of cake/filling/icing that you already have or are you just trying the cake alone?

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 10

USe white choc. filling and white chocolate icing! That's white chocolatey to me!!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 10

I would definitely be careful when adding more white chocolate to the recipe! I tried that before, to a white chocolate cake, because like you, I wanted a pronounced white chocolate flavor. I added extra white chocolate and used white chocolate coffee creamer in place of the liquid in the recipe, and the cake fell in the center and was completely unusable. It tasted delicious, but it was about 1/2" tall in the center where the edges were 2". Please let us know if you find a ratio that works though!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 10

How about adding white chocolate pudding mix to your batter?

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 10

Ghiradelli makes a white chocolate powder.

jessica14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica14 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 10

There is a white chocolate cake recipe that I use that I got off this sight that uses white chocolate pudding in the recipe. It's delicious and I get compliments on the cake all the time! It's called "Simple and Great White Chocolate Cake" posted by three4thequeen. It's in the white cakes section of recipes. I love this recipe. It's my only white cake recipe I'll use!!

katie_lynn02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie_lynn02 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all for your help! The Ghiradelli powder would be a great idea, I just have no idea where I would find it here in Calgary, Alberta. I am sure I can order it online for the next time if I have more time to allow for shipping/delivery.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 10

yes, I also think the white chocolate pudding will help a lot and it will taste soooo good! you can add some white chocolate ganache as a filling too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%