Refrigerate Fondant Cakes?

Decorating By cakemama18 Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 8:48am by sandy99

cakemama18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama18 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 8

Quick question from a newbie, Can you refrigerate fondant covered cakes? If so, how long is recommended?

7 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 8

You can ALWAYS refrigerate a fondant cake, however... most of the time, when you do refrigerate a cake, when you pull it out of the fridge, condensation can form on the outside of the cake, making it shiny. It happens more to me in the summer than in the winter, because the outside winter air is cool. So basically, as the cake comes to room temperature, it starts to 'sweat'.

The sweating will eventually go away, if you leave it out for a few hours. You can check in my pics, the blue baby shower cake with the moon on the top was my first cake that sweat on me. icon_smile.gif

I've been told that if you put your cake in a box, and then in a large garbage bag, and THEN in the fridge, it helps reduce the condesation. You're supposed to leave it in the box and garbage bag when you take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temp.

Hope that helps!

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 8

technically you can, but I personally wouldnt. I've seen what a little moisture can do to my cakes, esp as I use a lot of 3d figures and accents. I just choose my cakes and fillings carefully so I can leave them at room temperature.

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama18

Quick question from a newbie, Can you refrigerate fondant covered cakes? If so, how long is recommended?

Oh and Welcome to Cake central thumbs_up.gif

cakemama18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama18 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:53am
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much for all your input. I also thought about condensation. And especially for the warm welcome thumbs_up.gif

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:06am
post #6 of 8

I do it all the time w/o any problems...i never knew you could until i read it on here and now I always do....

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:07am
post #7 of 8

I always chill my cakes for at least a couple of hours. It helps firm things up making your cake stable for delivery. Plus 99 percent of my cakes are filled with a whipped cream mousse.

sandy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy99 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:48am
post #8 of 8

i always refrigerate my cakes.my big secret is white chocolate buttercream.if you use it under your fondant your cake it will not be shiny at all.even if it is hot out there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%