No Cake Heat Coil Or Rose Nail

Baking By jimmynCR Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 1:45pm by DianeLM

jimmynCR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmynCR Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 10

Can someone tell me another way to bake a 14 inch cake without a heat coil or rose nails. Ive looked all over the stores in Costa Rica and cant find either one. I thought about using 2x4 carpenter nails, but dont know how sanatary this would be since their not stainless steel.

9 replies
suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 10

Do you have bake even strips? That would help. If not, my only suggestion is to lower the oven temp. You will need to bake a little longer. HTH icon_smile.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 10

I posted this tip the other day that may help you:

" I was getting ready to bake 2 12" cakes and I used my flower nail in the center of one (to help bake evenly) and realized I didn't have anything for the second. So, I put on my thinking cap and then suddenly the light came on....I could use the removable core/base from my 6" angel food pan! It worked like a charm.

Hope this helps someone!

Deb"

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 10

Also roasting tin with water below cake will help keep it moist. Wrap cake pan with brown paper

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 10

I have used metal chopsticks that I rigged together (3 or 4) with a foil snake holding them in place and inserted it in the batter. You might need to move your oven rack down a notch to fit it in there. It works great. You could also use metal skewers the same way.

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 10

You might do an internet search about using aluminum foil as a heating core. I know I have read something about this being possible. The lady had made "tents" out of aluminum foil and placed them in the pan just like you would a heating core or flower nail. HTH

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:39am
post #7 of 10

Bake even strips is what I use for my 14" pans. If you can't find those in your area I've read where people make their own from wet towels.

sophie691 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophie691 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 10

I know that years ago .. I used a nail through my potatoes. It cut the baking time. Just a thought.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 10

Bakeries don't mess with heating cores or flower nails. They bake at a lower temp for a longer period of time. 325 degrees. Try it!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 10

Empty a small can (tomato paste, for example). Remove the top and bottom. Insert in cake! Oh.. wash first. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%