Decorating By thecakeprincess Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 5:32am by UpAt2am

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 8

How much would you guys charge for this cake. 2 rounds
1 - 6" round
1 - 10" round
stacked and covered in fondant
each tier has fondant cut outs(hills, sun, and flowers) and 2 molded characters on the very top

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 8

figure out your price per serving for fondant covered cakes and go from there. how to figure out what your price per serving should be? factor in your costs (insurance, taxes, utilities, ingredients, materials, fees, advertising, fuel, wear and tear on your vehicle, etc.). then figure out what you want to make per hour on your labor. also, figure in your skill set and how you fare in comparison to other bakeries in your area (do you feel like your work is as good, better, and/or are you doing something different and new?). finally, see what others are charging in your area and that could help give you a roundabout price too. all of this goes into "how much should i charge for this cake?" and every person and area is different. i suggest you figure out all of those things before you start charging people for cakes. also, are you legal to sell cakes to begin with? are you licensed, inspected and insured? that comes before everything else!

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, I am licensed and insured.

UpAt2am Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakeprincess

Yes, I am licensed and insured.

but you haven't figured out a pricing matrix for you skill, area, competition, and all of your costs that go into making the cakes? icon_eek.gif

start by figuring out what it costs to make the cake (materials and ingredients). then figure out what it costs your house/car/etc. to make the cakes. then figure out all of the business costs that goes into the making the cakes. then figure out what you want to make for your labor costs. after you figure all of that out, you'll know the answer to your pricing question.

to answer your question simply though, i would charge @ $275 (depending on what the figures on top were supposed to be) + delivery for the cake you described...but again, i know my costs going into it and what i want to make on the cake.

i know some people rave about cake boss software to help with the pricing questions...maybe try that?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

to answer your question simply though, i would charge @ $275

Really? (For a one-layer 6" and a one-layer 10".)

UpAt2am Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:01am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

to answer your question simply though, i would charge @ $275

Really? (For a one-layer 6" and a one-layer 10".)

i think she meant one 6 inch tier and one 10 inch tier (she said layer at first, but then said tier later on). that would give almost 50 servings. at a base price of $4.50/serving that i charge for fondant covered cakes, that starts at $225. add the two figurines on top and gumpaste flowers...it might climb closer to $5/serving. just depends on the complexity of both.

if she meant just one 6 inch layer of cake that is on top of one layer that was 10 inches, then that would look quite odd to me and i can't imagine anyone ordering something like that, right?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:23am
post #7 of 8
Quote:

if she meant just one 6 inch layer of cake that is on top of one layer that was 10 inches, then that would look quite odd to me and i can't imagine anyone ordering something like that, right?

I personally don't like the look at all, but some people do it all the time.

She said:
"2 rounds
1 - 6" round
1 - 10" round"
(So I took it as 2 rounds, with the size for each listed. I guess people that make one 2" tall cake would call it a tier since it's definitely not a layer cake!)

UpAt2am Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 5:32am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakeprincess

How much would you guys charge for this cake. 2 rounds
1 - 6" round
1 - 10" round
stacked and covered in fondant
each tier has fondant cut outs(hills, sun, and flowers) and 2 molded characters on the very top

Thanks in advance!

well, i took it as two, round cakes, 1-6 inch tier on top of 1-10 inch tier...my price of $275ish is what i would charge for that.

if it's one 6 inch layer on top of a 10 inch layer, i wouldn't know what to charge b/c i wouldn't do a cake like that. i simply wouldn't take the order. to each their own icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%