No,you May Not Have The Recipe!!

Decorating By MandyCakez Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 11:28pm by jlynnw

MandyCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyCakez Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #1 of 61

I swear everytime i post a new cake on my fan page i get a question like-"Oh is that buttercream with strawberry puree?"or "Do you mind messaging me your (_____) recipe,my friend has a birthday coming up an she wants that flavor." um,YES i DO mind.Ugh,Is there a nice way to go about saying NO?

It seems silly,but i've spent ALOT of trial an error an dozens of ingredients down the garbage disposal to get all my home made recipes to just pass them along.I mean,I could imagine walking into Pizza Hut an asking for their pizza sauce recipe!! icon_rolleyes.gif

60 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:35am
post #2 of 61

Here's what I say, "Sorry. I don't share recipes."

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 61

OR, "I"m soo glad you are interested in my recipe but unfortunetly,,I can't give it out as this is my own special secret recipe, but thank you"!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:01am
post #4 of 61

I know what you mean. I used to give out recipes but people didn't want to follow my specific directions, including ingredients, so I quit giving them out years ago. I got tired of people telling me something must be wrong because " gee I didn't use Lindt white chocolte, I used Hershey and I used margarine and it didn't taste like yours" . Just say, I would love to give you the recipe but I use some unusual ingredients so I don't do that anymore.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:04am
post #5 of 61

Them:

Quote:
Quote:

" gee I didn't use Lindt white chocolte, I used Hershey and I used margarine and it didn't taste like yours" .

Me: "Gee, that's fascinating but why didn't you use the recipe that *I* gave you?" icon_rolleyes.gificon_twisted.gif

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:39am
post #6 of 61

Wow this freaked me out for a moment, I ask for recipes sometimes-not often. Thought I may have been breaking a CC rule or something icon_surprised.gif , anyhow I am really stingy..I dont even give my recipes out to family haha!I figure I have worked so hard on developing my recipes and it makes me happy knowing I make something special that people come to me specifically for and it return it makes them happy. It would be silly to hand it out so they could make it at home! I hear ya girlfriend!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:44am
post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyCakez

I swear everytime i post a new cake on my fan page...

If you're talking about posting a cake photo on your fan page, don't mention the cake flavor... that would eliminate them asking for the recipe.

Brenda41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda41 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:50am
post #8 of 61

I don't mind sharing recipes, because even if the person follow the instructions in the recipe, it will never be the same as mine. Grandmas teach us to cook and our food flavor is never, never the same.

Dommers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dommers Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:29am
post #9 of 61

I don't mind sharing recipes either, when people want a cake they want my designs and my cake if they want to bake a cake then go for it. But I know people are paying for my work. Besides sharing is caring. icon_wink.gif

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:18am
post #10 of 61

just smile cheekily and say 'if I told you I would have to keeeel you!' then laugh it off. people are seldom rude enough to ignore the hint and ask again...

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:19am
post #11 of 61

A joking "I could tell you...but I'd have to kill you!" might work well.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:19am
post #12 of 61

I always thought if you shared your cake on cc with everyone...you shared your cake!
I'm glad I have never asked for a recipe! Although I have asked for directions on a few things and I am very thankful for those who open their heart and knowledge to share their little tricks with me! I love this site...Thank you again to all that share their knowledge with all of us newbies! And a very special Thank you to the ccer who shared the original wasc cake recipe...it truly changed my baking and gave me great confidence!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:07am
post #13 of 61

What is a fan page? Is this here on CC? I never heard of this, but that doesn't surprise me either. icon_wink.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:27am
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda41

I don't mind sharing recipes, because even if the person follow the instructions in the recipe, it will never be the same as mine. Grandmas teach us to cook and our food flavor is never, never the same.

Yeah, but then they tell people their horrible cake is from your recipe and suddenly their bad baking becomes your reputation.

I just tell people they'll have to wait and buy my book. Who knows? I may someday. Half of them get distracted by the idea of me writing a book. The other half think I'm joking about the book, but serious about the recipe. At the very least, it reminds them that a professional's recipes have a value that your grandma's don't.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:52am
post #15 of 61

This is truly a pet peeve of mine. I have shared a recipe here and there but when it comes to a wedding cake or special occasion cake that I have spent a lot of hours on I draw the line there. If someone is using the cake thing for income I don't think it's appropriate to come up and ask for the recipe.

I am very thankful for all those that have shared tons of recipes on CC but I would never expect them to share them all and never would I ask them for that "special" recipe. If someone wants to share I love that! But, I don't feel "entitled" to their recipes just because they share a pic of their creation.

The WASC cake has opened my eyes to all kinds of quick and unique cake flavors and I will forever be grateful for that recipe icon_smile.gif

just my thoughts icon_biggrin.gif

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:11pm
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

This is truly a pet peeve of mine. I have shared a recipe here and there but when it comes to a wedding cake or special occasion cake that I have spent a lot of hours on I draw the line there. If someone is using the cake thing for income I don't think it's appropriate to come up and ask for the recipe.

I am very thankful for all those that have shared tons of recipes on CC but I would never expect them to share them all and never would I ask them for that "special" recipe. If someone wants to share I love that! But, I don't feel "entitled" to their recipes just because they share a pic of their creation.

The WASC cake has opened my eyes to all kinds of quick and unique cake flavors and I will forever be grateful for that recipe icon_smile.gif

just my thoughts icon_biggrin.gif

Who said anything about being "entitled"? Sorry but I live by the old saying never hurts to ask. If someone is rude or demands the recipe that's a different story not what the O.P. described. A simple hey I am trying to do something similar could I have your recipe is not a demand nor is it rude. Gee what is the worst you are going to say? No. Okay thanks anyway. Yeah so inappropriate. Don't share that is your prerogative, but getting bent out of shape because someone asks is a bit silly. It is a harmless question that you can easily answer with a 2 letter response. If you feel you need more than just use Leah''s response.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:36pm
post #17 of 61

Take it as a compliment and then give one of the friendly or funny responses that have been suggested here....or just say no. As Gatorcake said, they're just asking.

FonDont Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FonDont Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:08pm
post #18 of 61

Right on gatorcake.

MandyCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyCakez Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm
post #19 of 61

Again,I just wanted to point out i was NOT talking about any fellow bakers here at CC.I certainly don't mind sharing with other bakers here on CC because lord knows i've used this place as my "safe haven" for many things.

For the person that asked a "fan page"is on Facebook.We all have different opinions on this an for very valid reasons,i'm sure.I do mind sharing with customers,but again,that's me.If they want my recipe then they will have to buy a cake.Like ive said i went through alot of trial an error an cost to start my business.I won't give them out. icon_wink.gif

I love the ideas suggested here on how to approach when someone asks! icon_smile.gif

crazyladybaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:15pm
post #20 of 61

@ gatorcake "Don't share that is your prerogative, but getting bent out of shape because someone asks is a bit silly."

I am not getting bent out of shape at all hence the smiley face. I was sharing thoughts and what has happened to me in the past.

There have been a couple of times where I have been approached with the tone of "entitlement" because they know me and and want a recipe. Yes, it is my prerogative to not share and yes, I know how to say No as well.

I am not sure if you are insinuating that I am being rude or not. As you know it is hard to tell tone in a written forum. If you took it that I was being rude or nasty it wasn't meant to be that way.

This is an open forum for "friendly" discussion. Not all of us will agree on everything so we might as well agree to disagree. Life it so short to get "bent out of shape" over something so trivial. Personally I love hearing others opinions even if they differ from my own. That's what makes the world go round.

thumbs_up.gif

Have a great day.

crazyladybaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:18pm
post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyCakez

Again,I just wanted to point out i was NOT talking about any fellow bakers here at CC.I certainly don't mind sharing with other bakers here on CC because lord knows i've used this place as my "safe haven" for many things.

For the person that asked a "fan page"is on Facebook.We all have different opinions on this an for very valid reasons,i'm sure.I do mind sharing with customers,but again,that's me.If they want my recipe then they will have to buy a cake.Like ive said i went through alot of trial an error an cost to start my business.I won't give them out. icon_wink.gif

I love the ideas suggested here on how to approach when someone asks! icon_smile.gif

Hope you don't think I was attacking you in anyway. I was just sharing what has happened to me in the past. I think you have a valid point.

I totally agree with being being SO thankful for all the help and input from people here at CC. thumbs_up.gif

crazyladybaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:30pm
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Take it as a compliment and then give one of the friendly or funny responses that have been suggested here....or just say no. As Gatorcake said, they're just asking.

oh, I do take it as a compliment icon_lol.gif I guess my post might have been taken the wrong way. I was thinking more on the lines of when I was approached with that...give me that recipe now....lol

Yes, I did actually have a friend tell me, "send me that cake recipe as soon as you can because I have a birthday coming up and want to use it".
Never once did she say "please or thank you". Kind of rubbed me the wrong way at the time I suppose. ahhh, well....life goes on
icon_wink.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:32pm
post #23 of 61

Grandmas recipes are just as valuable as the "pro" recipes, maybe in a different manner but hers are still valuable. She has placed a lot of time in them and quite often so did her granmother who gave them to her.

Take it as a compliment and say as such. That is such a compliment that you would ask for a trade secret recipe, I am flattered. You acknowledge the request with a polite implied no that is much easier for some.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:50pm
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyladybaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

oh, I do take it as a compliment icon_lol.gif I guess my post might have been taken the wrong way. I was thinking more on the lines of when I was approached with that...give me that recipe now....lol

Yes, I did actually have a friend tell me, "send me that cake recipe as soon as you can because I have a birthday coming up and want to use it".
Never once did she say "please or thank you". Kind of rubbed me the wrong way at the time I suppose. ahhh, well....life goes on
icon_wink.gif

Well, if someone is basically demanding to know your recipe, that's different! I'd be miffed, too, and would have a hard time NOT telling them to take a hike! icon_lol.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:52pm
post #25 of 61

I finally deleted someone from my facebook over this. No matter what my status (I cook and bake A LOT...)was saying I was up to, she'd be on in seconds NEEDING THAT RECIPE!!! It wouldn't be one request, but in an hour, a message--didn't you hear me?? type thing.

Recipes are keys to our success. Many times I've replied, well if you can get ME the Colonel's secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices I'll swap ya for it! icon_lol.gif The conversation usually ends in giggles and no more is said.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:18pm
post #26 of 61

Yeah, on a fan page, people who have clicked "like" and like what you do, to ask for a recipe isn't appropriate. I sometimes even like to keep my flavor combo's a secret and have a list I sit down with my brides with. Not all of my flavors, but it is a pain when you spend time, money and effort to come up with delicious combo's to have them ripped off...

As far as sharing recipes, flavor combo's on CC... I'm sure there is local competition for each person on here, but it's still different. Granted, there are a few recipes I will die with though.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:21pm
post #27 of 61

This same topic has come up in the past.

My feelings on recipes is if it is something you have gotten on the internet or somewhere else, direct them to that source. Oh you really like this pumpkin cake recipe, I got it off such and such website.

If it is something you have spent time, money and trail and error creating, then simply be honest and tell them that. You can also still direct them to websites with simalar recipes. If they can't understand that is their problem. And you can always put a disclaimer on your page saying that you don't share your personal recipes. You'll probably still get asked though.

I think 95% of the time someone askes for a recipe it is because that item sounds good at that moment and the person actually will never get around to trying it out.

I was lucky enough to recieve a secret cookie recipe from a CC member years ago. I still make them and I am always getting asked for the recipe. My response to them is honestly: "I'm sorry, I made a promise I would never share the recipe so I can't give it to you." Now you ask me for any other cookie recipe I have, and I'll let you know where it came from, because they all came out off the internet, or the back of the Toll House Chocolate Chips bag. icon_wink.gif

I totally understand being protective over a recipe that you have spent alot of time creating, especially when it comes to your business. I don't think it makes anyone a bad person to not want to share it.

crazyladybaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:47pm
post #28 of 61

This isn't exactly on topic with original post but I was thinking about some of my fav recipes that have come from CC and macsmom comes to mind.

I have never been the same since trying the creamsicle version of her post.
She has shared so many great variations of her recipe of the WASC cake. I could eat that everyday!

I have really enjoyed reading that long list she composed.
So many great ideas on that document icon_smile.gif Big shout out to macsmom thumbs_up.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:52pm
post #29 of 61

I think most customized recipes come from a "base" recipe somewhere. Maybe just give them the base recipe without sharing all the tweaks you put into it? I think even if you share a secret recipe there's no way someone can reproduce it because everyone tends to tweak things to their own taste - adding or reducing a couple tablespoons of flour, sugar, spices, etc...the end products of recipes tend to be like snowflakes - no two are quite the sameicon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:04pm
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

Grandmas recipes are just as valuable as the "pro" recipes, maybe in a different manner but hers are still valuable. She has placed a lot of time in them and quite often so did her granmother who gave them to her.

You're reading something into my post that isn't there. Of course grandma's recipes have value. What I said was that professional recipes have a particular, professional, monetary value that grandma's don't have to her.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%