Does The Use Of Box Mixes Baffle You?

Lounge By Coral3 Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm by cakelover25

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:16am
post #31 of 82

So are there other people in here that cater to the higher end of the spectrum, like say fancy restaurants cater to people are looking for fine food? Meaning imported chocolate and involved gourmet recipes? I'm not trying to be rude, maybe I've just been in my "area" of the business for so long, I don't see it any other way, and it is odd to see so many comments about box mixes being all they use and people preferring them. Someone said something about memo regarding this as being a hot button? Is there a notice somewhere about threads like this? Please direct me to it if so.

laurenboxall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurenboxall Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:33am
post #32 of 82

I'm in Australia and use the Bakels Mississippi Mud Cake cake mix. It's only available at cake and speciality stores so it's not like the customers can just go to the supermarket and make one of their own. I used to make them from scratch but I have a full-time job and just didn't have the time. I add a few extras to the mix and have never had any complaints - often actually get asked for the recipe! I would love the time to bake from scratch but given the limited amount of time I have for cakes, I just can't justify the time (or the mess I make!)

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:59am
post #33 of 82

Apart from the fact that I personally think that scratch baking is a craft that should be honed and treasured (just like sewing, weaving, woodwork etc.) I am mostly opposed to box mixes because of the ingredients. The argument that box mixes are just pre-measured ingredients is insofar invalid that scratch recipies ususally do not include chemicals like Calcium Chloride, Modified Soy Protein, Cellulose Gum, Artificial Flavour or Sodium Loryl Sulphate (taken directly from the ingredients list of Betty Crocker's White Angel Food Cake , found on their website). Now, I do not want to eat all that stuff, nor do I want to feed it to family, friends or customers.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:19am
post #34 of 82

I too bake with fine ingredients, searching the internet and specialty shops. I put fine chocolate in my brownies, cakes, and frostings.... but, since I have been on CC, I have tried a few of the enhanced recipes out of curiosity. They are a completely different style of baking, and it was fun! I made the WASC and didn't like it, but I froze one layer as an experiment. We ate it plain because it was really good. I don't like chocolate, but the Amazing Chocolate Cake had a really nice flavor. There are others I did not like, but I look at it like adding a skill... there was something in baking that I didn't know anything about. I tend to bake toward the dense, moist side and some people don't like that. The enhanced recipes taste more like mainstream desserts and probably appeal to more people. I see a place for both scratch and box in commercial and personal baking. So I agree with both... there is a market for artisan cakes and scratch recipes, but there is a market for many other styles too... from enhanced to straight box. Too many bakers on CC are making plenty of money with mixes, thus proving that the public does love the taste.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:54pm
post #35 of 82

KarmaCakes10, I don't think there is *actually* a memo about this type of thread. I think that was sort of like when you say. "Memo to self..." icon_lol.gif

As for the argument about a mix being something the customer could just make themselves...nope. Not the way I do it when I use a mix. I have never heard of anyone thinking of my cake as anything less than phenomenal, even when I use a mix. Other professional bakers from local cities try to get my recipes from my dad!! (Like he has the first clue!) But another reason it's not something they can just do themselves is that they don't know how to make the icing, they don't have all the ingredients, they don't have the pans, they don't have the skills, etc. etc. I don't mix up a cake mix per box instructions and pour it into a disposable 13 by 9 foil pan, then scoop out a can of frosting on it.

Another issue, at least for someone like me... I use many premium ingredients, and when I bake for my family (when cost is not the issue) I use the highest end stuff I can get my hands on. But when I am only able to sell a cake for $1 a serving tops for a sheet cake, or maybe $2 a serving for tiered, I am NOT going to PAY THEM to take it off my hands. I'm not going to use the cake flour that costs ten times what the AP flour does. I'm not going to use my expensive imported chocolate. I use cost effective ingredients so that I am not just barely breaking even, or even ending up in the hole. And, as mentioned by others, since everyone who has tasted it thinks it's amazing, I won't mess with the formula. icon_lol.gif

Edited for typo... I meant IMPORTED chocolate, not important chocolate. hehe.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:32pm
post #36 of 82

Important chocolate, that's the best typo I've ever seen! So funny! God it's nice to have a break from cakes at times. I injured my hand dissasembling our sheeter the other day and it's not going to get better soon. Not like I can help much, right hand, can't lift cake, can't paint, can't even crack a stinking egg. Guess I'll have fun on the internet for a couple of weeks.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaCakes10

Important chocolate, that's the best typo I've ever seen! So funny! God it's nice to have a break from cakes at times. I injured my hand dissasembling our sheeter the other day and it's not going to get better soon. Not like I can help much, right hand, can't lift cake, can't paint, can't even crack a stinking egg. Guess I'll have fun on the internet for a couple of weeks.

okay, off topic, but KarmaCakes10 - eewww, what an awful sounding injury! Sorry to hear it isn't going to get better soon, hope it heals well and you are back to using it ASAP. Take care and go enjoy cakewrecks.com and all the other fun stuff on the internet. Best wishes.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:23pm
post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaCakes10

I'm truly sorry for your injury, I hope it will heal fast for you.

I also hope you enjoy your internet time with CC. Just remember that a lot of topics, such as this one, is personal preference and there is no wrong answers. What one person likes, another may not, but we all respect each other for their opinions. I personally donât like peanut butter and chocolate together, makes me weird, but not wrong. (ok - really weird - but it helps with the diet at Halloween!) Post some pictures if you have time, I would love to see some of your work, you sound like a true professional!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm
post #39 of 82

I was (yes was) a baker that was strickly scratch. I became a member on here and heard all the arguements about box vs scratch and at the time I couldnt understand how anyone could use a box mix. Ive since come to a conclusion that depending on the cake/recipe, you can use a box mix, enhance it and have an awesome result. There are ways to enhance box mixes without buying chocolate that costs more than you charge for a cake! My customers have never, repeat NEVER came back to me and said that my cakes were dry, overly sweet, or tasted less than amazing. I can tell you that I have had people tell me that its the best tasting cake they have ever eaten or a common word is AMAZING. Im not tooting my own horn here, Im just saying that you cant be narrow minded here. You can have all the best, top of the line ingredients in the world but if you dont know how to put them together right your not going to get anything better tasting than a can of premade frosting.

Melvira Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:27pm
post #40 of 82

weirkd - Boy, you said a mouthful right there! Like when you see a celebrity with a super tacky home... money can't buy taste. Then again, if they like it, who's business is it if it seems 'ugly' to me or someone else, right?

Karen421 - I'm afraid that I just can't understand what you said there about peanut butter and chocolate. Is that some sort of horrible joke you like to play at Halloween? That's really cruel! icon_lol.gif Just kidding!! But seriously, I adore that combo, but would never look down on someone for not liking it. That's what makes us fun...we're not cookie cutter copies of each other.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:27pm
post #41 of 82

Box mix + 1 can pumpkin = cake people like.
Box mix (dry) over pie filling and covered with melted butter = cake people like.
Box mix + 2 eggs + nuts, chocolate chips, and dried fruit = cake people like.
etc.

Easy, inexpensive, and requested each month.

A plaque I saw at a craft show -
"Of course you can, but will you?"

BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:31pm
post #42 of 82

At least I can type! I type with my first two fingers and thumb only on my right hand, and the brunt of the injury is to the pinky and fourth finger, and the side of my hand. Painkillers help some, but it's going to hurt no matter if I'm sitting still, so what's the point. Thanks for the encouragement!

weirkd Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:14pm
post #43 of 82

Yep, to each is own! Personally, if I had the money some of these celebs have, I would of found better decorators!! Some of the MTV Cribs I see I wonder to myself what they are thinking!! They need to fire their decorators (or hire one for that matter!!) lol. I remember seeing what Christine Agulara's (probably spelled that wrong)home looked like. All I could think of was Betty Boop!! Poop,poopy doo!!

Melvira Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:56pm
post #44 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Yep, to each is own! Personally, if I had the money some of these celebs have, I would of found better decorators!! Some of the MTV Cribs I see I wonder to myself what they are thinking!! They need to fire their decorators (or hire one for that matter!!) lol. I remember seeing what Christine Agulara's (probably spelled that wrong)home looked like. All I could think of was Betty Boop!! Poop,poopy doo!!

Muahaha! I know what you mean. If that's their taste, then I'm glad they can have it. I just wish I had some of their money to make MY house look slammin'! Hehe. It's just like 'personal stylists'. Some stars have naturally good taste, some hire someone to make it look like they do. More power to 'em. And then again, some hire someone who has terrible taste and they end up on the 'What were they thinking' photo stream on OMG. I'm not gonna lie... I LOVE looking at that. icon_redface.gif

weirkd Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:43pm
post #45 of 82

Yah, its like a train wreck. You cant look away! I love watching that stuff too. The worst dressed you look at them and think how can they look THAT bad with all that money!!

Karen421 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:11am
post #46 of 82

LOL That is so true!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:00am
post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Box mix (dry) over pie filling and covered with melted butter = cake people like.

This is one of our thanksgiving standards! found the recipe in a church cookbook and it was called "Dump Cake" 'coz we just dump a couple cans of pie filling in a baking dish/pan; dump a cake mix on top; and dump some melted butter. My family practically licks the plate clean! I had a wedding photographer friend over for dinner and made this for him and he raved over it.

Too simple! Too easy! Too fabulously good! thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:09am
post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

This is one of our thanksgiving standards! found the recipe in a church cookbook and it was called "Dump Cake" 'coz we just dump a couple cans of pie filling in a baking dish/pan; dump a cake mix on top; and dump some melted butter. My family practically licks the plate clean! I had a wedding photographer friend over for dinner and made this for him and he raved over it.

Too simple! Too easy! Too fabulously good! thumbs_up.gif

I would love to try this, how much butter and how long do you bake it?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:12am
post #49 of 82

I googled "dump cake" ............lots of recipes come up.

Rae

Karen421 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:21am
post #50 of 82

Thanks Rae - I should have thought of that!!! icon_redface.gif I'm not thinking lately!

indydebi Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:27am
post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I would love to try this, how much butter and how long do you bake it?

1 16-oz can crushed pineapple
1 can cherry pie filling
1 pkg yellow or white cake mix (I prefer the white)
½ cup melted butter
½ cup chopped walnuts (optionalI always omit)

Dump the crushed pineapple in a 9x13 pan.
  Dump cherry pie filling in pan; spread over pan evenly.
  Dump 1 box cake mix; spread over fruit and press down lightly.
  Drizzle melted butter over top.
  Top with walnuts, if wanted.
  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.

Karen421 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:34am
post #52 of 82

Thank you Debbie! I am going to try this - this weekend!! icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:55am
post #53 of 82

Yep, indydebi, that's the recipe.
You can change it up with almost anything and people love it.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:57am
post #54 of 82

That sounds like something my hubby would like.....can you use apple pie filling alone like in layers? Instead of pineapple etc ?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:39pm
post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

That sounds like something my hubby would like.....can you use apple pie filling alone like in layers? Instead of pineapple etc ?

I've made it with fresh Granny Smith apples, yellow cake and butter. It was one of the demos I saw at a Pampered Chef party. Really good!

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm
post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieltilda

I'll actually defend box mixes (without taking offense from those who think they're useless): First off, they're much faster to put together than making a cake from scratch. There's no bringing butter to room temperature or sifting flour several times or careful measuring. This can leave time for other things, like decorating (which I personally like to spend more time on).

Secondly, I have found it very difficult to emulate some of the qualities of a box mix that I like so much, namely the soft crumb and not-buttery flavor. I am not a fan of the denser, buttery cakes that many from-scratch recipes I have tried tend to be. This is mostly for yellow cakes, I think.

Also, it's easy to turn a box mix into your own creation. I like adding flavors and making swirls of flavors.

This isn't to say that I don't see the merit in baking completely from scratch, but sometimes, I simply don't have time for it! Now what I ALWAYS have time for is making my own frosting. I think it's MUCH easier to tell from-scratch frosting from the gross, sugary canned stuff. But ask people to tell the difference between a boxed cake mix and a from-scratch cake? That's much more difficult.

I completely agree with you. I havent found a scratch cake recipe I like as well as my modified box mix cakes. I get rave reviews of them and everyone thinks its from scratch.

I have only found 1 person who likes canned icing better than buttercream and she also prefers instant mashed potatoes to homemade mashed potatoes so I don't really count her opinion as worthwhile lol.

Melvira Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:33pm
post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

...she also prefers instant mashed potatoes to homemade mashed potatoes...

Oh no... I know we're not judging here, and there has to be something about it (a memory of a loved one perhaps?) that makes her like them, but yuk. They can be passable (IMHO) if doctored up, but never BETTER than real. There is NOTHING like real mashed potatoes!! Or mashed sweet potatoes! Phooey, is anyone else STARVING right now? icon_lol.gif

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:41pm
post #58 of 82

She prefers the texture of them. My grandma made instant mashed potatoes and I loved everything she did but I never ate her potatoes. My mom grew up on them so when we had meshed potatoes at home they were always real she hated the fake ones. I don't blame my grandma though she had to feed an army. She had 17 kids and then adopted one so she probably didnt have a pot big enough to boil all those potatoes.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:46pm
post #59 of 82

Instant mashed potatoes may not be ideal, but nothing is worse than real mashed potatoes done badly!

After all that peeling and boiling and you get pureed potatoe soup. A real travesty.

indydebi Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 3:33am
post #60 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

As for the argument about a mix being something the customer could just make themselves...nope.

agree with ya here. That would be like handing someone who has no idea how to cross stitch, one of those pre-packaged everthing-you-need-in-the-bag cross stitch kits and expecting them to be able to make the item ... AND have it actually look nice!

When we bought one of those wooden swing set "kits" (when kids were little), it was a "kit" alright! It had all the hardware and the lumber, but hubby STILL had to saw, miter, adjust, fit and all kinds of things to put that together. But like a cake mix .... everything was there. But that wouldnt' guarantee that anyone could do it.

You could hand me keys to an airplane, the airplane and a how-to manual. Doesn't mean I'll be able to fly the plane. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%