How To Get A Character To 'pop' Out Of A Cake

Decorating By zaco Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 10:42pm by zaco

zaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zaco Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 7

I'm working on a Tigger cake and I want it to look like he's popping out of the cake - you know, the fondant looks like a torn wrapper. I tried this a few weeks ago with a hand for my glee cake but I did not like how it turned out at all. I'm wondering if anyone has some good tips.

6 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 7

If this were my project I'd approach it like this...

Put a layer of fondant (darker color - maybe black so it looks like it's a hole or a void he's popping out of) on just the very TOP of the cake. It may be helpful to have a razor blade or exacto knife so you can cut around the edge of the cake.

Then, cover the ENTIRE cake in the color of fondant you wish the cake to be. Trim, smooth as usual.

Then in the middle, where you want to place the Tigger figure, make upside down "V" shaped cuts, radiating in a circular pattern so it looks like he "punched" his way out and that tore through the fondant.

Then put your figure on a skewer and stick him in the middle and sort of arrange the flaps of cut fondant as you wish, prop as needed to support them until they dry in place.

Hope that makes sense. If not, ask me and I'll try to explain better. Best of luck. Post pics!

zaco Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:06am
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I get what you're saying, I hadn't thought about using a layer of black underneath. When I picture it in my head I think of the flaps starting where the body begins (if that makes sense), but it's not possible to make the flaps big and go all around the circle that way. I can't wait to try this tomorrow! Just hope my Tigger sculpture turns out.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zaco Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tips everyone! I had a little trouble but it ended up looking great. Pics in my album.

And Karen, that link is great! Definitely something to keep bookmarked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%