Motors/lights For Cake

Decorating By Devzay Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 6:58am by wendalls

Devzay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devzay Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know where to buy motors/lights that can be used on cakes?

8 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 9

I don't think that kind of stuff is technically cake safe. But you can always put saran wrap or something around them. I used the single lights that are for in a balloon from AC Moore and encased it in foil and fondant to make spotlights.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 9

you could try hobby shops to start with.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 9

When I was on a team that competed on Ultimate Cake Off, we ordered little lights that twist on and off from some place online. They're the kind that are often used in floral arrangements now a days too.
We also used a strobe light.

For motors, our cake actually had an electric drill hooked up to a pully system to rotate the whole cake. Other teams have used remote control car motors or airplane motors.

So it just depends on how big you want to go. We just surfed online to find what we needed.


weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 9

I made a helicopter cake and used a light that was meant to be put inside a helium balloon. Look for LED mini lights and you will get a few places. Hobby shops might be able to help or the other thing you can do is take apart an old toy or one found at a garage sale. Depending on what you need it to do, you can go online to hobby stores and buy individual parts cheaper. But be forwarned. If you tell these people what your using it for, they will more than likely not talk to you (online that is). I guess they think its a joke or something. I had a heck of a time trying to find someone to help me figure out what parts I needed to make the helicopter's propellars spin.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 9

You can buy "balloon lights" at JoAnns or Michaels, in the wedding isle. They are small lights that twist on and off. I've used them a couple of times (for an example, you can check out my fire truck cake..I used them on top and as headlights) and they work great. There are a bunch of places that offer them online as well. Good luck!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 9

We buy these tiny LED's from michaels or ac moore in the wedding section, it's 4 to a pack and you twist them and they turn on and stay lit for 8-10 hours. They are little, I want to say an inch or less in length and maybe pencil thick? I like that they can be turned on, wrapped in saran wrap, and stuck into place and just left there (no wiring a cake). Of course you have to do delivery and setup less than 10 hours before the end of the party...

Devzay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devzay Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:26am
post #8 of 9

Thanks to all of you for the info! I would never have thought of looking in the wedding section at craft stores.

wendalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:58am
post #9 of 9

I've seen cake boss grab a toy with lights / motors and use those.

Quote by @%username% on %date%