Fondant Vs Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By jagvipers Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 1:31am by Honeychild

jagvipers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jagvipers Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a small sheet cake for confirmation and she requested matching cupcakes. I'd like to put a daisy on top of the frosting of each cupcake, but with gumpaste or fondant? Do 'cakesters' always use gumpaste for their decorations if meant to be eaten? I had chocolate fondant flowers on my last cake and everyone loved those - they tasted like tootsie rolls and were still soft enough to eat, but the gumpaste flowers - we just set to the side when we cut the cake because they dry hard. ??

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 5

I made/used more fondant flowers than gumpaste. As long as the flower looks nice it really dosen't matter thatmuch which medium you use to create it. It's not a contest so go for the fondant is my suggestionicon_smile.gif

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 5

I'm with kakeladi. You only REALLY need to use gumpaste if you are tying to roll it very thin for the most realistic look. I prefer to use fondant whenever possible, especially on cupcakes. I think it is just preference and the goal in mind.

jagvipers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jagvipers Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 5

Fondant it is! icon_smile.gif Thank you!

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #5 of 5

The only time I use gumpaste instead of fondant is in the summer when it is humid. The fondant reacts to humidity and flowers may droop whereas the gumpaste stays hard and does not seem to react to humidity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%