How Hard Is It To Learn To Use Convection Oven

Decorating By Rusti Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 1:38pm by crazyladybaker

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:16am
post #1 of 13

I am getting a new electric oven soon and I'd like to know how hard it is to learn to use a convection oven especially for baking. What are the differences?
I am one of the few people I know that knows how to cook with a microwave so I am willing to learn but I would love to hear from anyone who has a convection oven. Do you like it? What are the pros and cons?

Thank you so much for any advice you can give me. icon_confused.gif

12 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:28am
post #2 of 13

Simple... follow your manufacturer's suggestions and go from there. Mine is a kitchenaid and everything bakes better in it. I only decrease my temp 10 to 15 degrees. Just bake one cookie, cupcake, etc, to get the time and temp down. Mine has "easy convect" that converts for you and it was always right, but I prefer to do my own settings.

Rusti Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks so much, now I can look forward to better baking . My old oven is terrible. icon_biggrin.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 13

I love my convection oven, but I do NOT use it for any baking of cakes, breads, etc. The directions that came with the oven said it shouldn't be used for cakes, as it is too drying. To save a few minutes of baking time, it isn't worth it to me.

I do use it for meats (has never dried them yet) and roasting.

Rusti Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:03am
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the advice, it's always best to get first hand advice.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #6 of 13

I agree, I don't use my convection for cookies and cakes. Tried it once and just found it dried things out. I heard someone else say that the air can actually cause the cake to bake lopsided.

It IS great for roasting meats though. Best turkey EVER!

Chelle2212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelle2212 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:37am
post #7 of 13

I use convection all of the time. I do have to rotate my cakes 1/2 way thru & I have ALWAYS been complimented on how moist they are. I've only been doing it for a year or so but I have never had a problem. icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle Larsen
Moonlight Cake Design
California

scp1127 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #8 of 13

I bake in my Kitchenaid convection and a conventional oven. The Kitchenaid convection baked goods are more moist than the same cake batter baked the same time in the conventional. I don't have to rotate and every cupcake and cake are perfectly formed. I am actually going out tomorrow to buy another double oven for my business. Different ovens must bake differently, but this model is a dream.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:22am
post #9 of 13

I just got a Samsung it has both convection and baking oven I made my first cake using convection this past weekend it was the best cake I ever made when I set the temp at 350 it automatically sets the convection 25 degrees less or I can use the regular oven which would be 350 it stays at 350 my cake was so moist
Molly

scp1127 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:55am
post #10 of 13

I am glad this topic came up because I just made sure that my oven I am buying is the same one I already have. I have heard of some convection ovens not being the best for baking and my restaurant supply person confirmed it. He said sometimes the fans are too strong. I thought I was crazy to buy my business oven in the form of a residential double wall oven. But I have six shelves (three each) in an oven I trust. The price is about $2500.00. A single oven is about $1400.00.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 13

I have an LG, and I LOVE it. I do put a smalll pan of water in the bottom of the oven floor to keep moisture in there when I bake using the convection option. My oven also automatically decreases the temp. 25 degrees when I set it. I can load the entire oven full - all 3 shelves, and never move a cake. I can bake a whole small wedding cake at one time. I will never own a regular oven again. It is a HUGE time savor for me.

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:52pm
post #12 of 13

I have a double oven, one of them is convection. THe cakes in the convection bake faster and look better. The only thing is I have to make sure the pans are centered on the rack otherwise the cakes get lopsided because of the fan.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:38pm
post #13 of 13

I too have a double oven. Mine is dual fuel as well. One thing I have noticed is that the front right corner cooks hotter than the rest when it is set to convection. They said it was because of the fan airflow.

I have been experimenting with it lately and it seems like when I use the reg bake cycle it cooks more evenly but slower which makes sense.
This is my first convection oven and so far I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%