Can A Buttercream Survive A Trip To Vegas?

Decorating By Loloi2 Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 1:07am by Rylan

Loloi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loloi2 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if anyone knows any way to transport a buttercream icing cake safely to Las Vegas, about a 4 hour trip? I wanted to order a cake in Las Vegas for my niece's wedding, but unfortunately they are WAY out of my price range. Does anyone know if the cake will be able to survive this length of trip? It will not be tiered until we arrive at the reception, and will be frozen before hand.

thanks

3 replies
tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 4

I would think most definitely! One person was asking about a cake for an 11 hour trip. Your's is a trip to the mall compared to that! lol I think that you could freeze it, thaw to chilled state, and ice it. I would even considered decorating most if not all and just taking extra icing to fix if necessary. Especially in this cooler weather...think it would definitely survive! icon_smile.gif

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 4

Almost all my cakes have traveled 4 to 6 hours. I have never had any problems. I take them already stacked. I have used the dowel method, bubble tea straw method (both with center dowel) and SPS. We keep the car as cold as possible (I live in the South), drive normal speed, hopefully take the curves a little more carefully. I keep them as level as possible. Maybe I have just been lucky!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:07am
post #4 of 4

I have traveled Swiss meringue buttercream for 9 hours (Vegas to San Francisco). I never had any problems. I just put it in a cooler, with an ice pack (not sure what they call those, but the color was blue).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%