Question About Cake Balls

Decorating By Stacey75 Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 4:02pm by deMuralist

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 11

How long do these stay fresh? or how far can I make them in advance?

10 replies
tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 11

I have frozen at every stage of the process, except for after they have been dipped. So, they can stay fresh for a long time! I've had them in my fridge for up to a week (airtight container of course). You can make them months in advance.

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:21am
post #3 of 11

Thanks

funnyfarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funnyfarm Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:59am
post #4 of 11

I agree with tcwheeler--weeks to months in advance (I've had a bag of chocolate cake balls, undipped, in the freezer for over three months and they still taste wonderful and fresh). I also think they taste better after they've been frozen! Maybe it's just me. . .

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:49am
post #5 of 11

when you make your cake balls, what do you mix them with...I have seen recently chocolate cake with a can of chocolate frosting...then I saw chocolate with white frosting?

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 11

There is an extremely long thread on CC that has a ton of recipes for all sorts of flavors on it. Some people don't use any binder just much the cake up. I don't care for the chocolate ones I have tried so far. But as a general rule I do not use frosting as I think it is too sweet. In my red velvet ones I use cream cheese and some powdered sugar.

I also freeze mine, and have frozen at every stage including after dipped. But I usually bake the cake and crumb it and add the binder in the same day. Then tightly wrapped I put it in the fridge for a day or two (if it needs to be longer than that then I put it in the freezer). Then I make the whole batch into balls and freeze them(I have had them frozen for a slong as 2 months-and I do not know how they lasted that long!). Then I only dip as many as I need. Once dipped they are at peak flavor for just right at a week. After that the chocolate starts to lose it snap when you bite into it-although they still taste fantastic and the chocolate coating acts as a preservative holding in flavor and moisture.

funnyfarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funnyfarm Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 11

I use anything handy for the chocolate cake balls! My usual is a mix of cream cheese frosting and white buttercream (half and half). I have used chocolate buttercream (yum!) and even Nutella and peanut butter. The Nutella and creamy PB tends to make the cake balls much softer though, so do be careful to keep them cold when dipping (I've dipped them frozen in a pinch). I do not use canned frosting since it seems to be too soft, like the PB. I prefer to make my own frosting since I can keep a medium to stiff consistency which works much better. Cake balls are a really great way to use left over frosting-even colored frosting "blends in" with the dark chocolate icon_smile.gif

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 11

thanks for your insight funnyfarm...appreciate your help.

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 11

or while it's thawing? Can you do that?

deMuralist Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 11

I usually take about 24 of the balls out of the freezer as I am melting the chocolate. Then dip them. Then take 24 more out, add chocolate to my pot and melt it, and continue in this fashion until all that I need are dipped.

deMuralist Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 11

oops, sorry that was a double post

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%