Timeline Help. Me And The Cake Are Going Out Of Town!

Decorating By Jenniferkay Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 3:05am by tcwheeler

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 6

My BFF is finally going to have her first baby. Of course I want to do her baby shower cake. It's 3 tier, large baby shower. I keep debating about what to do. Should I finish it all up here or should I finish it there. I'm leaving Thursday and driving 11 hours, the shower is not until Sunday. I'm definitely baking before. One thought was to do the entire cake in fondant since it's a "sealer" then box each layer and saran wrap the boxes until Friday night. Left them breath overnight (do they need to breathe?). Then stack SPS Saturday night. Or...do I take all frozen in cooler, let them thaw on the way up. Fill and crumb Friday, cover Saturday and decorate and stack.

Now mind you, I was hoping for a little vacation. This will be the first time in 4 years that I'm away from my kids and husband for more than 10 hours. So I kind of wanted to veg and shop! But I also want an outstanding cake for my friend and her cake to be the best cake it can be.

5 replies
tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 6

What about doing an awesome display with ONE layered cake and lots of cupcakes? My other idea is do as much at home as possible. I would do everything except my final icing and decorations. If you could make decorations ahead, I would do that too. If not, I would keep them simple and elegant. icon_smile.gif

Jenniferkay Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:52am
post #3 of 6

I guess I should add that I've already decided on design. She really wants a tiered cake, I would've preferred cupcakes as I could do those easypeezy. The design is based off ofNautica baby bedding and is 3 tiers of plaid in different shades of blue. Just figuring timing....oye.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:13am
post #4 of 6

I did a 'Road Cake' back in July when my son got married. I live in NC and had to travel to Ohio, (14 hrs) I was able to find a caker who agreed to bake the layer cakes for me, and I would assemble and decorate.
It was a big pain in the rear to pack up all my cake decorating tools. Mixer, Tool box, cake circles, shortening, 10X sugar, freezer wrap, scrapers...etc...
I started over a month in advance writing an itemized list so I wouldn't forget anything.
If you are looking for some down time, I don't know that you will find any until your cake is done.
If you are indeed looking for down time, and quality time spent with your friend, It's okay to cheat a little bit and take short cuts. Perhaps purchase some kind of store bought cake and finish it?
If you are dead set on creating a beautiful cake for your friend, (and I can understand this) I would try to complete as much of the work at home that I could.
Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like....they're like butts! Everybody has one and they stink! icon_wink.gif

Jenniferkay Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 6

I'm in NC too traveling to Detroit.

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #6 of 6

Would edible sheets to wrap around the cake be possible? Not a fan of them but it would save having to smooth the icing to perfection. Tokazodo's idea of someone else baking is an awesome idea. Wonder if someone in the family is a good baker? icon_smile.gif))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%