Tie-Dye Effect With Finished Buttercream

Decorating By apesusi Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 4:16pm by malene541

apesusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apesusi Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 6

I am wanting to make a space cake similar to this one:

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/rocketship-birthday-cake-2009-08-01.htm

We wanted to do buttercream on the outside instead of fondant. Is there any way to get the swirl/tie-dye effect with smooth buttercream? I know I could make light navy blue icing and then add a little more blue to make it swirled, but I'm afraid once I put it on the cake and smooth it out it will just look like horizontal lines around the cake.

Any ideas?

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 6

You could do that with an airbrush.

apesusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apesusi Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 6

hm. No airbrush here...

Any other ideas?

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 6

Maybe just when frosting the cake, sloppy frost with your main color and add (read: glob on) the other colors (different shades of blues and purples) then take your bench scrapper or frosting spatula (whatever you use to smooth) and smooth around the cake while its on a turntable....if you dont have an airbrush.

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 6

I wonder if the same technique that I've seen mentioned on here for making cammo cakes would work? Try doing a search for that!

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 6

I did a tie-dye cake once with buttercream years ago. I used regular Wilton gel colors and painted them onto white buttercream. It looked like real tie-dye but did not have the perfectly smooth sides. ?? It was way before I had a digital camera and I'm not sure where the picture is but I remember it resembling a Van Gogh type painting if that makes any sense?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%