Tiers Are Always Uneven.....what Do I Do???

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 11:00am by Kahlua

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 13

I try and try to get my tiers straight and even but they always end up off somehow. I use a leveler all through the proces, but I am still having issues. I seen the gal from Cake Alchemy use the Cake Collars to fill her tiers, I am considering using this technique...Any ideas/advice?

12 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 13

Buy an Agbay. Problem solved.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

'Nuf said! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 13

If you're using a wilton leveler you will never have a level tier. Everyone can't afford an agbay but there are other ways to level. Use enough batter so it rises above the pan and us the edge of the pan to level or take the cake out of the pan and put cake circles in the bottom of the pan to raise the cake above the top edge so you can use the edge to level. Hope that helps.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 13

Aside from an agbay you should also invest in a small level from the hardware store. That way you can check your layers as you add filling. An agbay is a large purchase, but if this is something you plan to do a lot of, it really is worth the investment. Good luck!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 13

I actually use the Wilton's leveler w/no problems. I like the agbay, but just cannot see myself spending that much right now. I fill my pans a little high so the cake will rise above the edge, like Tiggy stated. I then level the tops using the pan as a guide. The extra straps are eaten by my family or I'll make cake pops with them. .

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:50am
post #7 of 13

Also check the level on your decorating surface. I found that my table was slightly off level but my countertop was level. So if your table/counter is off level, even if you level the cakes they will be off level when moved to a level surface.

Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:07am
post #8 of 13

I just use a ruler, lazy susan and sharp serrated knife and never have a problem. Cheap as!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:44am
post #9 of 13

Are you using a good turntable? - I started out using a lazy susan...then one day after I'd ganached, covered in fondant and decorated perfectly I took the cake OFF the lazy susan only to discover the cake was NOT level!...lo and behold the lazy susan was slightly lopsided and I hadn't noticed. (Needless to say I went and bought a proper turntable the same day)

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:46am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Not if the surface you level on it's not level! My whole house is uneven, causing all my surfaces to be too. So, my cakes are level in my house, but take them somewhere else and they're not anymore!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:17am
post #11 of 13

I just purchased the Fat Daddios leveler. Very impressed with the price and the product!

Before, I would fill my pans so the cake would rise taller, take a serrated knife and trim away while the knife stayed flush with the pan. Always even cake..

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:56am
post #12 of 13

The agbay is nice but for an upgradeable single blade its 175.00. For the dble blade 275.00! Just for your information!

Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:00am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Are you using a good turntable? - I started out using a lazy susan...then one day after I'd ganached, covered in fondant and decorated perfectly I took the cake OFF the lazy susan only to discover the cake was NOT level!...lo and behold the lazy susan was slightly lopsided and I hadn't noticed. (Needless to say I went and bought a proper turntable the same day)

Yes my lazy Susan is very solid (and level) I also have a turntable icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%