Need Help Carving A Book Cake

Decorating By Giovanna68 Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 12:34pm by Giovanna68

Giovanna68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Giovanna68 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 4

i know i have seen this before but cant find it now. i am making a open book cake using 2 12x18 sheet pans for a 50th birthday party and need to know how to carve it. my main concern is the top as i want the curve, not flat effect, it is double layerd but can ad a 3rd if nesscary as the cake is for about 40 people.

3 replies
microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 4

Do you mean you want the binding on the side of the book to appear curved? I just trimmed a little bit out with a carving knife. I will say that some people put the cover on the book first and pages second but I would do it in the opposite order next time. I found fitting the pages in the corner under the binding difficult.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 4

Micro - She is wanting an open book cake, not like the one you are thinking of.

Do you have a large book at home you can use as a model? If you don't want to add more cake you will have to shave off cake at the ends of your cake so you get that gentle slope of pages bunched up in the middle and then cut a small "valley" down the middle.

Don't know if that helps at all

Giovanna68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Giovanna68 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 4

thanks both replys help, the cake is not being covered in fondant so thankfully that wont be an issue. i will post pics when its done...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%