Stuck On Design B/c I Don't Like The Inspiration

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 3:59pm by Bskinne

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 19

Ever had someone ask you do something that seems ugly? I have a cake to do for a friend today, and a mutual friend had sent over inspiration from our friends fave designer, and let's just say we don't have the same taste, so the design isn't inspiring....her gave color is green but the cake has been requested to be green but colorful...in other words, loud and clashing...I've been through the green gallery but not seeing anything that fits the description. Here's the link robins of the designers works, anyone have some inspiration for me?
http://www.visit-bcn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/Desigual-Fashion.jpg

18 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 19

Why don't you use that circle design from the center of the dress on the link.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 19

How about fondant covered cake, splash painted green with round cut outs in various colors, kinda retro psychodelic (sp?).

Not my taste but not the worst to work with. Please post a pic and let us know what you did.

medusas_touch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medusas_touch Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 19

I'm not too experienced with fondant, could you maybe replicate a similar design to this by putting liquid colour on pristine white fondant and blowing it around lightly with an airbrush. Possibly using a forest green, mauve or lilac, gold, silver, a soft buttery yellow and pale pink?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 19

I think the circle design would be perfect, if you have it in you to do the splattered paint I'd do that too. I think once you've included every color in the rainbow they all match LOL. Green generally looks really nice with yellows and purples too

Bskinne Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

Why don't you use that circle design from the center of the dress on the link.

honestly? Because I find it clashy and ugly.... icon_smile.gif I'd like to somehow use SOME of the colors in a funky way. This, again is for a friend, so in the end I will have artistic license, but this is her style. icon_smile.gif
and the cake itself is a two tiered topsy turvy, so the structure is loud un it's own respect.

Bskinne Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 19

I guess my real fear is doing my first topsy cake and it turns out looking like it was designed by a first grader, lol. icon_wink.gif

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 19

I would suggest incorporating some of the braclet styles and/or the tassels from the scarf as fondant accents around the cake. Looking forward to you final result.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 19

What about using green/white marbled fondant around the cake, with the circle design on the top tier and maybe colorful circle cut outs around the sides. Not my favorite of styles, but I think that with your talent, you can execute it very well. HTH thumbs_up.gif

Bskinne Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickeyC

What about using green/white marbled fondant around the cake, with the circle design on the top tier and maybe colorful circle cut outs around the sides. Not my favorite of styles, but I think that with your talent, you can execute it very well. HTH thumbs_up.gif

I was thinking along these lines... I'm thinking I will marble green, white and blue fondant for the bottom, and do some of the curly cutouts that are on the top of the dress on that then do blue and green circles on white fondant for the top. Maybe add in some yellow somehow, I just can't in goodconscious do ALL those colors, lol....
I need to get started on something, and I'm sure the design will change as the day goes on, so wish me luck! icon_wink.gif

staceyflute Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyflute Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 19

Yeah, I'm experiencing the same thing with a wedding cake I'm going to make. The bride asked for these plastic gold leaves to be on the cake and was like nuh-uh!!! How tacky. I'm at least going to make the leaves with gumpaste and paint them gold. But anyways, yeah it is tough to have to make something you aren't inspired by. But ultimately if the client is happy, then hopefully that will make you happy. And if the cake is hideous, then just leave it out of your portfolio. icon_wink.gif

To tone down the crazy colors, you could cover your cakes in a lighter, less loud green and then put a louder color of that same green in the colored accents. I agree with the circles idea...I don't think they will be too tacky. I also like the scalloped circles in the dress....maybe you could incororate that in a scalloped trim or something.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 19

My first thought was peacock feathers. They have those colorful circles. You'll get it. Stare at it for awhile and it will come to you!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:11pm
post #13 of 19

Ok I may be the dork but I love that dress. I think your marbeling idea is fantastic. You can't fight who you are so do the best to combine your style and hers and I'm sure it will come out great.

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 19

Just a thought, but after looking at the design have you thought about adding the rest of the colors you don't use on the desing maybe in teh cake (ie. a rainbow cake)? I also like the idea of using the circles because I think the cakes I've seen done tend to look so polished. Someone else said incorportating the jewelry, I think the chunk bracelet would actually make a great border.

Imagine her surprise to have a very elegant looking cake (using the black and white theme from his scarf) then cut into the cake and having it explode with the color (rainbow cake)...just a thought.

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:19pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Ok I may be the dork but I love that dress. I think your marbeling idea is fantastic. You can't fight who you are so do the best to combine your style and hers and I'm sure it will come out great.

I wasn't going to say that sillywabbitz, but I liked the dress too. icon_smile.gif

Bskinne Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:49pm
post #16 of 19

It's not that I don't like the dress, and I love my friends funky style, but when it comes to my designs in cakes, paintings, etc (I have a graphics background) I tend to lean towards classic and sophisticated. So I know if I try to put all those colors, even in a similar pattern, it's going to look like a hungover rainbow threw up on it, lol.
And the cakes are baked, so no funky colored cakes. icon_smile.gif even if the cake looks like crap, at least it tastes good-one tier us my "famous" red velvet and the other is my chocolate cake with caramel toffee frosting, yummy! icon_wink.gif

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:20pm
post #17 of 19

When I saw that dress, the first thing I thought of was this cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1723296.html

It's just such a strange, eye-popping mix of color... I think it falls into the hungover rainbow throwing up realm. But there is a certain amount of order to the chaos.

I'm really intrigued to see what you come up with!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:38pm
post #18 of 19

Maybe you can check out Rouvelee's creations in flickr?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rouvelee/with/2902234336/

I love the elegance of her funky designs.

Bskinne Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:59pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Maybe you can check out Rouvelee's creations in flickr?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rouvelee/with/2902234336/

I love the elegance of her funky designs.

ahhhh, I love her cakes! Thanks! Even if they aren't inspiration now, I'm definitely bookmarking her!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%