Chocolate Cake Disasters - Please Help With Tips/good Recipe

Baking By TrialNError Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 1:23am by TrialNError

TrialNError Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrialNError Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:06am
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I have tried various chocolate cake recipes (about 6 different recipes), but for some reason none of the cakes are turning out to be moist, infact the cakes are very dry and don't seem to be rising too well. icon_cry.gif

I usually put cakes in the 2nd rack (from bottom) of my Westinghouse fan-forced oven and bake at 20-40 degrees lower than the recipe dictates, as I was told that fan-forced ovens are more powerful.

I have tried to adjust baking times/temperatures and have even swapped to the middle shelf, but found the cake burnt at the top, while being uncooked in the middle, so I've had to lightly cover with foil and keep baking until completion.

I sometimes use bake-even strips to get the cake to bake evenly, is there something I'm missing out on doing to get a rich moist evenly baked cake?

I desperately need help as a friend has asked me to bake her daughters communion cake for this weekend and wants, yes, you got it - a chocolate cake!! Please help! Thanks sincerely.

7 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 10:44am
post #2 of 8

Hmm I think you need to put your rack in the center of the oven for more even airflow. I think having them too close to the bottom may be drying them out.

Have you tried the recipe on the Hershey's cocoa can? It always comes out good for me. Also check out this recipe. I think it won the chocolate scratch-off, although I could be mistaken.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

A link to the scratch-off:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=639593&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 8

The WASC Chocolate cake is fool proof, sturdy and moist. If I'm baking a scratch cake (more expensive), I LOVE Dorie Greenspan's Devil's Food Cake (google and it should come up, from her Baking With Dorie book).

TrialNError Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 8

I live in Western Australia, so don't have access to the American products, but thanks, I'll try the Double Layer Choc Cake (from the Choc scratch-off) and hope it turns out A1 as I don't have time for a practise run. I've also downloaded the "Best Chocolate Cake Ever" recipe from Cake Central's favorite recipe tab, which claims great results.

I'll be making a bible shaped (13' x 9'), so would the quantity be the same as the recipe (2 x 10' x 2') states?

I found that while baking with middle rack the top of cake burns while the inside is still gooey. I have had previous success with the 2nd from the bottom, but seem to be having very little luck of late with chocolate cakes.

Does the cake tin require a lot of lining with baking paper along the bottom and sides to prevent the drying out?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 8

I think the quantity would still be the same. Usually I can take a recipe for 2 8 or 9 inch pans and it will fit a 9x13.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:

I was going to post that cake for you, I did not read the scratch off, but the reviews are so good.
I just made it on friday night and we had it today morning, it is really moist, dark in color, and chocolaty in taste.

TrialNError Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your friendly & helpful advice. Wish me luck as I will bake tomorrow. I'm trying the Double Choc, so let's keep my fingers crossed.

Any tips on lining tins, oven temps for fan forced etc will be highly appreciated and definitely implemented.

I will post the results & I'm sure all will go well thumbs_up.gif
Cheers

TrialNError Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:23am
post #8 of 8

Thanks again for all your feedback, help & tips: AnnieCahill, infinitsky, FullHouse.

The cake baked really well using all your advice & it does look & taste extremely moist & decadent.

I layered the cake and filled it with buttercream & will now top with choc ganache. My kids & I tasted the trimmings & it was really delicious.

I am SOOO relieved and now hope that my friends & her guests enjoy the Communion cake. I can't wait to hear their feedback (I'm sure it will be all good!).

I've printed the recipe & labelled it "Fantastic recipe, Moist & Choclatey" for future reference. I know this is going to be my crowd pleaser from now on.

Cheers & thanks, thanks, thanks a million thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%