How Far In Advance Can I Make Sugar Cookies?

Baking By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 5:44am by fionlim0000

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:52am
post #1 of 9

I have an order for Sat. When can they be baked and iced? TY

8 replies
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:18am
post #2 of 9

its best to have them as fresh as possible. but there are lots of questions to consider first.
it also depends on how much time you have.
- do you need to split the making of the dough and baking?
-How many do you need to make?
- How long do you think it will take you to decorate them
- How long to mix the colours for the icing?
-Drying of the icing?
-Do you have to bag and ribbon them? How long will that take you?

I would add all of this up and then space it out over the time you have to do them in.

Dont forget depending on the weather you made need up to 2 days to dry them. So, at the end of that rambling, you can start soon and they should be fine.

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 9

Thank you

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:55am
post #4 of 9

You know, I always obsess about making them as late as possible so they will be fresh, but the funny thing is many days later when we are finishing the last of the cookies they are still delicious and soft inside just like they were the first day I ate one! lol

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:17am
post #5 of 9

You can start making them now. When idividually bagged and twist tied, they stay fresh for up to two weeks.

fionlim0000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fionlim0000 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 9

Hi, are sugar cookies meant to be soft inside? I tried other reciepe before that some are crisp and crunchy but the NFSC are not once after they cooled, am I right since I'm following the reciepe.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionlim0000

Hi, are sugar cookies meant to be soft inside? I tried other reciepe before that some are crisp and crunchy but the NFSC are not once after they cooled, am I right since I'm following the reciepe.

There is no right answer - it depends on what you want. There are tons of recipes, so you just have to find one for the consistency YOU are looking for. I like mine a little crunchy (and sturdy) on the outside, but soft and chewy on the inside. icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 9

I use the NoFail recipe from this site and just alter some flavorings... hasn't failed me yet (no pun intended!)....

I can make those bad boys up to a week or so in advance with them still being fresh. Of course I keep them covered. but I usually leave them out a day or two (uncovered) so that they aren't "wet", then I decorate with royal one night (still uncovered) and then the next night I finish up any other royal work I have to do (still uncovered) and then when they are dry, they get covered... NEVER NEVER NEVER a problem or complaint. At this point you can even freeze them all decorated (with royal) ....

fionlim0000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fionlim0000 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:44am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the above answers, think in Asian most people here thought cookies are suppose to be crunchy like Famous Amos, so when I present my NFSC to them, they find it too soft inside and thought it's not fresh, so devastating which those I make fresh. Anyhoo, I know now how it should have been. Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%