Drumbing Up Some Cookie Business

Baking By teddy0826 Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 7:02am by scp1127

teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 4

I would like to drumb up some more business for myself. What do you think if I made some artistic sugar cookies for the holidays and went to some local coffee shops, do you think I would have a chance?

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:22am
post #2 of 4

If you want to sell to businesses, I have to ask if you are a licensed facility (home or storefront)? The reason I ask is because if you are wanting to sell to, for example, coffee shops for them to re-sell, they have to know that all products in their shop is made under proper health dept guidelines. Otherwise they are liable for any issues/problems.

I'm not trying to open the licensed/unlicensed argument, but when selling to other commercial businesses with the intent of resale, this becomes a very real issue.

If you ARE licensed, then I recommend taking not only the samples, but some good literature. In addition to your biz card, the coffee shop will want to see your wholesale pricing list and min buy quantities, a brochure-type of information about you and your company, what are the packaging options and the pricing for each (i.e. bulk packed 50 to a box or individually wrapped in cellaphane with a ribbon).

You can make an appt or do a cold-call. Either way, when you leave, you should make a committment with them on when you will follow up.

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:36am
post #3 of 4

teddy0826 where do you live? this will make a difference.

depending on regulations and if you have catering insurance ( for me anyway) or a licence for the USA, plus you need labelling, etc and pricelists as indydebi suggested a flyer etc.

I did that recently and picked up 2 places just this morning to be my retail stockists. so yes it can be done. but it takes a bit of prep work to before you start.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:02am
post #4 of 4

Check with the health dept, as wholesaling has increased regulations, at least in my two areas. Labeling here requires the FDA label for wholesaling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%