Old Scam, New Tricks

Business By tootie0809 Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm by EdieP

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 18

Everyone has been tried to be scammed or heard of the "Happy Married Life" scammers. I know I've had countless emails and phone calls from these people, all with basically the same script. Well today they tried a new form of scamming. They sent a request for information through Wedding Wire. It's the first time a "customer" has ever requested more information through Wedding Wire. I emailed back asking for more information on what they wanted, and then they emailed me directly with the same old "Happy Married Life" scam wording. I guess they think they'll hook more suckers with a new form of contacting us? I emailed back and said "No thanks. Take your scam and shove it!" I know, I feel better though. icon_smile.gif

17 replies
jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 18

What is that? I have never heard of it?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 18

Just tell them that you only accept cash for the amount due, nothing more, and no checks, and they'll never email you again. There's another thread on this in the general forum, it looks like Wedding Wire is being used to send these scam requests out.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:35am
post #4 of 18

I got it today too, and replied... then came the happy married life reply so i just deleted it all. what a waste of time.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 18

I received the same request from Wedding Wire and the same response from the person when I ask for more info.

I told them no problem, I need to to be paid in full in cash by Thursday at 5:00 pm. Haven't heard back yet...

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Everyone has been tried to be scammed or heard of the "Happy Married Life" scammers. I know I've had countless emails and phone calls from these people, all with basically the same script. Well today they tried a new form of scamming. They sent a request for information through Wedding Wire. It's the first time a "customer" has ever requested more information through Wedding Wire. I emailed back asking for more information on what they wanted, and then they emailed me directly with the same old "Happy Married Life" scam wording. I guess they think they'll hook more suckers with a new form of contacting us? I emailed back and said "No thanks. Take your scam and shove it!" I know, I feel better though. icon_smile.gif

I would report this to Wedding Wire. I am sure they would like to hear about it, since the person had to register to send you a request!

Thanks for the heads up!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 18

Ditto on alerting wedding wire. I've found them to be a great site to work with, fair to vendors, fast on resolving bad reviews, so I'm confident they would want to know about this.

tootie0809 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 18

Great idea. I will definitely report it to Wedding Wire. If anyone else got the same request, please report it as well.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 18

I had reported it to Wedding Wire last week and they were suppose to delete her from their data base. I emailed them again last night and told them that since their response, that there have been several other people getting contacted by her. So hopefully they will check into it and delete her.

tootie0809 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 18

Weirkd, was "her" name Cathy?

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 18

I got the same email from her on Sunday. See below.. Now that i know it is a scammer, I will be deleting all contact information.

thanks guys.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your concerm, first I want you to understand that am not from Canada. Am a citizen of US, and I also reside here in the state and I also know you make the best baking around...and you have the best to offer my for my glorious day...., am just having my wedding there in Canada, because my fiance is from Canada, and most of my business associate are also in Canada..Also Am a hearing impaired, I can only make and receive calls through relay..and the number is 702-823-0246... Email and sign it most easier way for me to communicate, it help me express my feelings more...More also I want you to understand that, presently am not home, am in the middle of a project assignment, and its from here i will be leaving for Canada for the wedding, that is why i was not able to come in your store to place the order in person.

Also i want to know that presently all am living on here is my credit card, since all my expenses is been taking care of by my board of directors. Although i intend to pay the shipper with my credit card but the agent is a small private business and dose have the credit card facilities. So that is the reason why i have bring my vote of confident in you to help me in this measure, this is also the reason i have also offer you the extra $100 due to my absent and for any less stress, or inconvenience. So i want you to help me include the cost of the shipping which is the $980 i ask you to add to the cost of the order, including the offer, so that i can remit my credit card for you to charge through for the total cost. Then you can help me pay the shipper upon the pick up. And once the cake leaves your store its off your responsibility.

And i believe this should not be a big deal for you to handle for me since whatever charges you put on my cc will clear to your account. Also i want you to know that i have already told most of our special guest about your cake and they are all waiting to have the bite, so please do not let me down. I shall be grateful you if you consider my request.

Thanks and God bless.
Cathy Labella

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 18

Well, she convinced me. Everything makes sense now. icon_rolleyes.gif

Wesha Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Well, she convinced me. Everything makes sense now. icon_rolleyes.gif

Did she contact you?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 18

Boy I wish all my expenses were paid by my board of directors! icon_rolleyes.gif

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 18

She has many faces! Here is what I got:

Hello Sorry I would have call instead, to place this order, but am a hearing impaired person, and its more easier for me to communicate via email and sign, help me express myself more...Please, I will like you to bake me chocolate and Vanilla cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 300 guest or more , and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or in butter cream, and there will be an inscription writing on the side of one of the tier as HAPPY MARRIED LIFE and i want you to pack them in different boxes to be ready for pick up at the said time and date.. 26th of Oct 2010, 3 O'clock PM. Reply me back and let me know if you can fill in the date for me....??? then i can forward all the details and the picture sample of what i will like you to bake for me.
Thanks and God bless.
Cathy Labella.

(I did not respond to her...)

I reported her to Wedding Wire as well and received the following email So I do encourange you to tell Wedding Wire if you get this person aso we can stop her!

Hi Lorie ,

Thank you for your e-mail. We are aware of the cake scam and we take them very seriously at WeddingWire. Scammers look at a number
of websites to find potential planners (WeddingWire, search engines, vendor's personal website, etc.)

WeddingWire encourages our vendor members to never send money or bank account information to unknown users. We would also suggest adding this person to spam.

We appreciate your diligence in this matter!

Warmest Regards,
WeddingWire Support

Wesha Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks Loriemoms...I got the same email from her the first time..btw..I was in your shop a few weeks ago, and your cupcakes are awesome thumbs_up.gif ...I did not see you (you were probably in the back decorating)..

loriemoms Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:14pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesha

Thanks Loriemoms...I got the same email from her the first time..btw..I was in your shop a few weeks ago, and your cupcakes are awesome thumbs_up.gif ...I did not see you (you were probably in the back decorating)..

Cool!!! Sorry I missed you....if you come by again, ask for me! Always love to see someone from CC!

EdieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieP Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm
post #18 of 18

Hi,
I just an email from the Happy Married life scam. They were instant, so I sent them a real invoice through papal...and as I thought..no response. They contacted me through wedding wire also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%