I Guess This Would Be More Of Where Would I Find......

Lounge By Christina1207 Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 3:51am by KHalstead

Christina1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina1207 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 13

I have my first wedding cake due in a couple of months and am clueless as to where to get the supplies I need such as the pillars. I have Wilton wedding cakes book and I tried going to the wed site. But everything that I tried to look up was no longer available. So I guess what I am asking is. Is there a website that actually has cake stands, pillars in stock? Please help me I need to price out this cake by the end of next week. Thanks in advanced, also somewhere where they sell molds. I need one to make realistic pearls I have seen it used many of times on the show Amazing Wedding Cakes.

Also can anyone give me clues as how I am supposed to set up the cake at the reception. Do I leave it to the bride to call them or should I. If the cake has to be in the cooler will they let me stash the cake in their cooler. Does any have any experience when it comes to this type of thing?

12 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 13

globalsugarart.com is a good place to get items. I've only done one wedding so far, so I'll let someone else with more experience answer your other questions icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 13

Are you close to Englewood? There's a great store there called Cake Crafts. They'll have everything you need.

http://cakecrafts.net/

Christina1207 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 13

No I will be Canon City Co in a few weeks icon_sad.gif

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 13

Global sugar art as suggested is a good place to start if you're looking for online shopping. If you have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels or any other craft stores in your area you can try there also.

As for the reception....I ALWAYS deliver and assemble the cake. I request that the reception area is 'cool' with a table not in the sunlight or next to speakers or the dance floor. I don't think I would deliver a cake so early that it needs to be in a cooler but that's just my opinion. Once you get the cake set up you can add finishing touches or fix any smudges, etc.

Best of luck!

Christina1207 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 13

I don't know what to do the wedding is for my hubby's high school friend. That's another trap that I fall into. Do I skip the ceremony and just have the hubby go and then set up the cake and join the reception? Or do I put the cake in the cooler and then sneak out to set up the cake? What would you all do if you had to be in 2 places at once?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 13

I would run in and set up the cake and then go to the wedding, give yourself enough time to get out of there before the wedding begins. (I did this for my BFF's wedding). Then you can sit and watch the wedding while imagining every possible bad thing that could be happening to your cake and walk in with all the other guests and be relieved that it still looks as gorgeous as when you left it!! lol

How perishable is your filling?? If it's something that can't sit out for 4 hrs. I wouldn't put it in a cake! Honestly that cake will most likely sit for 4-6 hrs. before it's cut, might as well make it easy on yourself and use something that's not perishable.

Christina1207 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 13

They want cream cheese filling for one of the tiers and they are set on that. So I guess I will have to skip the ceremony. Plus I don't think I could enjoy the ceremony while worrying about the cake. Since it will be my first wedding cake icon_smile.gif

Cakerer Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 13

I did a cake this weekend with a red velvet tier...I use buttercream dream buttercream (always) and used cheesecake flavored lorann oil to flavor. it is not the same consistency as cream cheese icing but still pretty yummy. That's a difficult situation that you're in. Sometimes I just say...that's not a filling I can do because of the length of time it will sit.

Cakerer Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 13

I did a cake this weekend with a red velvet tier...I use buttercream dream buttercream (always) and used cheesecake flavored lorann oil to flavor. it is not the same consistency as cream cheese icing but still pretty yummy. That's a difficult situation that you're in. Sometimes I just say...that's not a filling I can do because of the length of time it will sit.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:48am
post #11 of 13

Oh, good grief, cream cheese filling will keep for hours in a well chilled cake. Make it the night before, chill it all night in the fridge, deliver it and set it up an hour before the wedding, go attend the wedding and by the time it's served it'll still be cold in the middle.

Global Sugar Art has a good selection, but their shipping is ridiculously high. Shop around. Just Google cake supplies. Michaels and Hobby Lobby have a good selection of beginner supplies and you can get a 40% off coupon on-line for Michaels.

Christina1207 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:34am
post #12 of 13

Now here is another question. Do I call the reception hall and tell them that I am bring their wedding cake or do I leave that to the bride and groom? One more thing how would I go about making white fondant/gum paste roses with purple tips? I think I have an idea just not sure.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #13 of 13

if u take 2 cups of liquid rich's bettercreme, with1 cup of milk and a box of cheesecake pudding mix...u will get the most amazing cheesecake mousse ever!! AND it is fine at room temp for up to 5 days!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%