Meringue Powder?

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm by Jenniferkay

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 14

I use the BC recipe I was taught in the Wilton class , we add Meringue powder but I have no clue what it is or even why we add it ? I recently saw a thread here where they dont add the MP to their recipe because of the cracking after it crust. Any input on the MP ? TIA icon_smile.gif

13 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 14

Meringue powder is basically dried egg whites. It helps your frosting crust. If you have a good frosting recipe with the correct amount of sugar to fat ratio you don't need meringue powder. I think meringue powder leaves frosting with an odd taste. Plus you never know when someone has a food allergy to eggs. I use two pounds powdered sugar, one stick of salted butter, 1 1/2 cups hi ratio shortening, two tablespoons clear vanilla and 1/3 cup water. Whip until light and fluffy. Crusts nicely. Toba Garrets chocolate butter cream recipe is awesome. It does call for meringue but I leave it out and it crusts fine. I also don't use the liquor I use milk and cream.

sweetnessx3 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 14

Im going to try your recipe .... I know this may be dumb but, what is high ratio Crisco . I use the name brand Crisco but how do I know if it a high fat Ratio compared to others?

sweettreat101 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:09am
post #4 of 14

You have to get Hi ratio at a cake supply store or online. It has emulsifiers which help stablize your frosting and helps your frosting whip up nice and fluffy. I stopped using Crisco several years ago when they changed their shortening. Crisco leaves a greasy film in your mouth. I highly suggest trying Hi ratio if you can find it. It makes a huge difference in your frosting. If you can't find Hi ratio then use a store brand shortening that contains trans fat. I believe several people use Walmart brand I have used Sunny Select when in a bind.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:26am
post #5 of 14

Yep I use walmart brand and people eat my bc right out of the bowl if I forget the mp it still crusts...and if I do use it, it taste great....and if people have an egg allergy,,,they best not eat the cake....I have yet to make a cake without eggs in it

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:12am
post #6 of 14

I don't use meringue powder anymore like I used to..No need really.

I use Crisco, but I am going to switch to Walmart brand for now on/high ratio shortening. Thanks for the input on that.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 14

I stopped using it then went back to using it a few summers ago because I was having more and more problems with heat and humidity. For me it helps stablize the icing in the summer months.

It isn't needed for crusting, and can totally be left out. Try it with out and see how it works for you. If you find your icing is behaving differently, then you can always add it back in.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 14

How much meringue powder should be added?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:14am
post #9 of 14

I use a Tbs

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:39am
post #10 of 14

I use Wilton recipe with butter and Crisco. I haven't used meringue powder in quite a while. Just this weekend I added some and I am trying to decide if I can even tell a difference.
Personally, I feel that if the difference is that un-noticeable then perhaps I should save my money.

sweetnessx3 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:06am
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone , I have learned a ton and was embarrased to ask the question lol! I live pretty close to Nicholas Lodge store Im going to see if he carries the High ratio icon_smile.gif I have considered the walmart brand just because of the price difference .... Yay cheaper is finally better ! Thank you CCers you are the best !!!

sweettreat101 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:47am
post #12 of 14

I pay 2.49 a pound and get two batches of frosting with a little left over. Just add in an extra dollar or two to your price. It's worth the cost. Give it a try at least once then you can try the Walmart shortening and see if you can tell the difference. Wish I lived close to Nicolas Lodge store. I ordered gum paste products once. Shipping was to high since I live on the west coast.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:43pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnessx3

.... Im going to see if he carries the High ratio icon_smile.gif I have considered the walmart brand just because of the price difference .... Yay cheaper is finally better !

High Ratio Shortening and the shortenings that still have trans fats in them are two different things.

I tried using Walmarts brand and that was the one time I had the greasy mouthfill from icing. So I stick with just Crisco for my icing.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm
post #14 of 14

I'm not a fan of walmart brand, no matter how long you beat it it still leaves a grease mouth feel I think. I use either Target brand or Aldi has a nice one that whips up really nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%