Chocolate Modelling Chocolate All Crumbly, What Happened?

Baking By CherylJ Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 11:23pm by ibmoser

CherylJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylJ Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:43am
post #1 of 2

I have made modeling chocolate before with the white chocolate candy coating chips and it turned out just fine.

Yesterday was my first time with the milk chocolate candy melts. I melted a bag of the milk chocolate candy melts in the microwave and added 1/3 of a cup of corn syrup and mixed. I put it in plastic wrap overnight.

This morning it is hard (which is normal) and took a small ball and rolled it in my hand but instead of being like play-duh it crumbles. I needed the chocolate to make roses and there is no way I will be able to do that with this chocolate.

What did I do wrong? Is there a way to save or fix the batch?

Thanks!!!

1 reply
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 2

Did you knead the clay well? It will be crumbly until it warms sufficiently in your hands. Chocolate clay is a very temperature-driven product. Too hot and it won't hold its shape, too cold and it is hard and crumbly. I'm not an exert, but I have taken classes with Mike McCarey and Keith Ryder, and chocolate (or candy) clay is an amazing medium. I use 1/3 cup corn syrup, warmed to about the temperature of the melted chocolate (low 90s), to 16 oz candy discs or chocolate. It is very easy to overheat chocolate and fairly easy to overheat candy melts, and there is no fix for overheated product. But, you may just need to knead it a little more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%