Freeze Heavy Cream?

Lounge By ChristineJ Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 5:34am by BlakesCakes

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:42am
post #1 of 5

Good evening to all. Could someone please let me know if you can freeze heavy cream. I have a recipe that calls for 1 T. heavy cream, kind of hate to spend the money if I can't freeze it. Thanks to all.

4 replies
vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:10am
post #2 of 5

I don't think you can freeze heavy cream. Perhaps you can use what's left in icing, and then freeze the icing for use later.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:15am
post #3 of 5

What is the recipe for? In some recipes (such as soups) you can substitute evaporated milk. But I wouldn't recommend it for baking or whipping.

I've always been told that if you freeze cream, you can't whip it afterward; however, someone on here once posted that she freezes cream all the time with no problems. Anyway, I do sometimes freeze cream and then use it for soups, etc., but I haven't tried whipping it.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:01am
post #4 of 5

You can freeze heavy whipping cream. Once you unthaw it though, you cannot whip it. It's great in soups and ganache though.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:34am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

You can freeze heavy whipping cream. Once you unthaw it though, you cannot whip it. It's great in soups and ganache though.

Yep, the texture definitely changes when you freeze it.

Once defrosted, it has very tiny globules of fat in it that no matter what you do, they can't be fully melted or re-incorporated--BUT once you combine it with chocolate to make ganache or add it to stock for soup, they're not visible.

Truth be told, I don't freeze leftovers--I always have about 4 ounces left out of a quart after I make 4 batches of my buttercrea--so I spoil myself and add about 1 tsp. to my tea.............a real treat over my usual fat-free milk--LOL

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%