Sam's Club Icing Past "best By" Help Asap

Decorating By tsc Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 10:16pm by Rose_N_Crantz

tsc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsc Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:27am
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I bought one of the buckets of Sam's Club But-R-Creme to try it out. I'm doing my son's bday cake for tomorrow and realized that it's best by date is 9-25. This is not for a customer, just my family. I know that best by usually means better taste/quality and not necessarily food safety. I'm really pregnant (which is why this is so last minute, i haven't had the energy to start earlier) and really don't want to have to make several batches of bc. What do you think? Will it be ok? I have no idea, since this is the first time I've had a bucket of this stuff. Thanks for your help.

rhonda

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:24am
post #2 of 7

Did you buy it on 9-25? I'm asking because sometimes the label they print out is only for convenience at the register and it doesn't even have to match the product, just the correct price. Their BC is usually good left out at room temperature for something like 4 months. If you have reason to believe that it's truly 4 months old, I'd call the bakery department and ask about the labelling. I doubt they ever have anything that old in stock.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not speaking to this frosting, as I don't know. What I have always taken to heart, is that if there is ANY question on food safety, THROW IT OUT! I have seen people in kidney failure from food poisoning, and septic shock. IT IS NOT WORTH IT FOR A FEW DOLLARS, OR A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME/EFFORT. It's just for your family? Aren't they the most important people in your life? I'm not trying to be mean, really, and I've seen that written here over and over again by many. I just don't understand taking a chance with the people most loved by you, and those relying on you to take care of them. Just my two cents.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 7

I buy Sam's icing and it is good for up to 6 months at room temp. The labels always read the day u bought it usually. Trust me when that icing is bad you,ll know it!
It will separate and turn ivory in color and smells awefull!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 7

I have bought this frosting before the date on the side of the bucket tells you when it your frosting expires not the tag from the register

Molly

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Trust me when that icing is bad you,ll know it!
It will separate and turn ivory in color and smells awefull!

Yes, you'll definitely know without a question if it's bad... it won't smell sweet--it will smell like rancid shortening, and it will have a greasy taste that leaves a slimy coating on your tongue. If it's a full bucket, the lid can also explode off the top and it will drip down the sides of the bucket (no need to taste it if it looks like this or doesn't smell sweet!)

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 7

Are you talking about the date printed on the bucket, or the date on the price label they printed out? Go by the date on the bucket, not on the price label.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%