How Do You Do It?!?!?!

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 10:03am by pinkjacs

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 6

How do you actually get a cake to bake 2 or 3 in high?! I can never get it to work!

Thanks for the help!

5 replies
pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 6

I always get a good hight out of my cakes. I had the trouble of the middle rising too high (I bake Madeira cakes). Some posters on here recommended that I put grease proof paper over my batter while it bakes to prevent the middle from rising too much. I got even more hight in my cake and only a small bump in the middle.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 6

I only bake in 2" pans. Fill them 2/3 full and bake at 325. They rise above the pan edge and I level them before I flip them out.

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjacs

I always get a good hight out of my cakes. I had the trouble of the middle rising too high (I bake Madeira cakes). Some posters on here recommended that I put grease proof paper over my batter while it bakes to prevent the middle from rising too much. I got even more hight in my cake and only a small bump in the middle.

I like the sound of that. I too use madeira and always have a fairly large dome. When you say put greaseproof over the batter, do you mean it actually touches it at the level of the raw batter before baking? Sorry if that's a dumb question!!

Thanks

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 6

are you filling your pans full enough. 2/3 is a good rule of thumb, if you'r trying to figure out how much batter you're going to need here is a chart from Wilton that has approximate cups of batter you'll need per pan.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:03am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjacs

I like the sound of that. I too use madeira and always have a fairly large dome. When you say put greaseproof over the batter, do you mean it actually touches it at the level of the raw batter before baking? Sorry if that's a dumb question!!

Thanks

Hi yeah I did put it on the batter I didnt push it down just sat it on gently. My pans are really deep so I just go with the mix to fit the pan I need. My recipe book breaks it down to inch size of pan which is great. cake still tasted great too which t me is really important!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%