How To Display Auction Cake Without Getting Germs On It?

Decorating By CharliesMom09 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 9:41am by Coral3

CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 12

I'm a novice, making a cake for the cake silent auction at our school's fall festival. The cakes will all be out on tables for people to look at and write down their bids. I know from last year that the cakes are mostly simply homemade/frosted, and they're covered by sticking toothpicks in them and wrapping with saran wrap. My cake will be a bit fancier than that... one tier farm scene with a barn on top, fondant figures, etc. I hate the thought of sticking toothpicks in it! The little window in a cake box wouldn't allow it to be displayed well. Any ideas to display the cake yet keep away the germs from the many people who will be near it? TIA!

11 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 12

Can you make it so it fits on a plate that works with a cake dome? I have one that is glass that fits on a glass tiered plate. I have also used it on other glass plates I have. I would worry not only about germs, but people will want to touch your figures if it isn't covered.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 12

I put mine in a box w/o a lid. Then cover loosely with plastic wrap. Make a sign that says "Thank you for not touching this cake."

It does take away from the effect to have to cover it in plastic, but I don't know another way around it unless you were to put it in a shadow box or something.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 12

what about buying a larger packing box, cutting out panels on each side (so you have like a 1" frame all the way around and the corners are still intact.) and then put the seran wrap on that. So you're creating your own window box, but they cann still see all sides of the cake.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 12

Could you take a cardboard box and turn it on its side so the opening faces the front?

Slide the cake in so the box is like a shadow box and then put the clear wrap on the front/open side of the box.

HTH
Kristy

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 12

Depending on the size, there are glass display boxes (for basketballs and footballs) sold at Craft stores. You obviously would want your box back, but would make for a great presentation too! (use a coupon if not on 50% off sale) they run about $25 on sale.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 12

A really big basket bag (sold at Michaels) would also do the trick - keep the cake clean and make all your beautiful detail visible from all sides.

CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you so much, everyone! I think a cake dome would be the prettiest, but the only one I have would only cover one tier and not the RKT barn. I'll play with boxes tomorrow. Not necessarily the prettiest, but you've given me several great box ideas to work with!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 12

Go check out the clear lucite or glass display boxes at Michael's or Hobby Lobby that they sell to display basketballs. It might be big enough and it will completely cover the cake yet allow everyone to see all sides. You might even be able to get it at a discount with a coupon. thumbs_up.gif

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:02am
post #10 of 12

I agree with a box turned on it's side and ut out windows for them to view it. I would decorate the box inside and out with wrapping paper to give it a fancier look. Great job on donating a cake for the school fundraiser, hope you raise your goal amount.

melindak30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melindak30 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:10am
post #11 of 12

go to your local grocery store, ask them for large box such as that the paper towels are shipped in, cover in cake board foil, wrapping paper etc, cut in viewing slot and saran wrap, or go to lowes and buy plexiglass. they will cut it for you and you can use gorilla glue to put it together. You can reuse that time after time as a display case.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:41am
post #12 of 12

Ask yourself this...How do you display the wedding cake at a wedding reception without getting germs on it?...it's just occurred to me that nobody worries about guests sneezing on a wedding cake - kind of gross, when you stop and think about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%