Need Help With Christmas Recipes

Baking By odish Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 10:06am by pixiefuncakes

odish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odish Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 11:19am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,
Have had a few enquiries about Christmas cakes so decided to plan ahead and wondered if anyone could help. I would like to do family Christmas cakes so am looking for a recipe that
1)children would like (so not the traditional fruit cake)
2)I would be able to deliver 7-10 days before Christmas

So I know I could freeze cakes and decorate really close to Christmas but I was thinking how nice it is for the customers to have their cake a few days before they would eat it . This was it would be part of their decorations and they wouldn't feel they should eat it straight away. This would be how a traditional fruit cake would be but I know that it wouldn't be as family friendly if the children won't eat it.

Sorry to ask so soon when I know we haven't even had hallowe'en yet but your comments and ideas would be really welcome.
Thanks!

6 replies
jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 7

Madeira cake which you can flavour chocolate always popular with children or vanilla with jam and buttercream. When you do trdaitional recipe its a week to decorate and a week to eat icon_smile.gif

odish Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 7

Hi there - thanks for that. Do you mean traditional Madeira when you say week to decorate week to eat? That would be a good time scale but I haven't left madeiras anywhere near that long before.
Thanks

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 7

hello! I've already started my fruit cakes for christmas so not too early to think about it icon_wink.gif

I'd be tempted to go with a chocolate mud cake. Their flavour develops after the 3rd or 4th day and seem to stay nice and moist.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:49am
post #5 of 7

I used lindy smith recipe and its her that gave the timescale I have used it for most of my cakes now and never had a problem.

odish Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:52am
post #6 of 7

Thanks again to you both - my family and friends will be thrilled that I have to test some new recipes!

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 10:06am
post #7 of 7

I have made fruit cakes using sultanas, dried apricots, dried apple and dried pear instead of the 'traditional' mixed fruit and my kids love it. I also ganache them before the fondant (might have something to do with it).
Just a thought

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%