Root Beer Float Cc's...to Egg Or Not To Egg....

Baking By Pallison Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm by diane223

Pallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pallison Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:06am
post #1 of 7

I'm going to be making some Root Beer Float cupcakes and was planning on using a white cake mix and sub the liquid with root beer and add some root beer extract....sounds right to me....
But then I saw on a cupcake blog to just use the cake mix, the root beer, the extract and that's it....leave out the egg and oil....could that be right...??
What do you guys think the best way is....eggs and oil, or omit eggs and oil...???

6 replies
TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 4:36am
post #2 of 7

I have never used root beer, but I have used only a can of coke before (no eggs or oil). I feel sure the root beer would work.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 5:02am
post #3 of 7

I used just the Lorann rootbeer flavoring- no rootbeer soda to replace the liquid. The flavoring is plenty strong enough. I definitely used eggs in the cake. I've made them three times this way and each time they turned out perfect.

Pallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pallison Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the input.....!! We'll see how they turn out....I don't like Root Beer myself, but I'm sure I'll get plenty of feedback..!!

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 7

There is an old recipe out there that only uses a can of soda with the cake mix, nothing else. When cake mixes were first introduced, they only required adding water. They didn't sell very well because consumers thought that was too easy. I'm not certain if they ever modified the recipe of the mix or not, but when they changed instructions to add egg, oil, liquid, they started flying off the shelves. I do make a "Just Add Water" Cupcake mix, where adding any sort of liquid will do. Good luck with the recipe. People have been doing it that way for ages with great success!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 7

Diet recipes do that all the time using diet soda instead of the eggs and oil.
Works fine - it will give a different texture, however.

diane223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane223 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 7

Actually, if you search for the thread with all the variations of WASC cake, there is a root beer one in there. I have made that one and it is absolutely delicious. I actually have an order for them next week. It has root beer, Lorann root beer oil, and I believe egg whites. Look up that one--you won't be dissappointed. I have made diet cakes in the past with just a can of diet soda (just for personal consumption) and if you aren't going for a diet cake, you may not like the texture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%