Will This Look Right ? Asap. Please !!!

Decorating By brightbrats Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 12:09am by indydebi

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 8

OK, I need a wedding cake to serve 200 people. I've only have a 6,8,10,12,and 14in round set. I've figured that a 8,10,12 and 14 will get me 196 servings, correct ? Just trying to find out if the 8 inch will look right as the top layer, is it to big ? Please help ASAP needing to get started baking.

7 replies
KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 8

Not unless you have a really big topper, like that extends past the edges of the 8, otherwise, it will look pretty squatty.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 8

I've used an 8" as the top and didn't think it looked bad at all, but i'm only a hobby baker. good luck.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 8

I actually never made a wedding cake, but if you prefer a smaller cake as the top layer and want your cake to be perfect you can use a 6 inch dummy cake!...
HTH

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 8

Well, if the total of your pan sizes adds up to 196, then adding the 6" layer will give you more than you need but not by much. Otherwise, a 6" dummy sounds like a good idea.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, topping with a 6" (on top of the 8") will only give you 8 extra servings above the 200 needed. But I'd start by just stacking your pans upside down on each other with the 8" as the top tier and see how the proportions look to you. The base cake as a 14" may be big enough that an 8" on top is fine.

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 8

you could always scale down the size of your cakes to a size you are happy with and make an additional cutting cake for the extra portions

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:09am
post #8 of 8

when I started making cakes, the 8" round was the standard for a top tier. Toppers just need to be proportionate, which is common sense. I don't think they need to overhang the edges (toppers don't overhang the edge of 6" top tiers ... it's all proportional).

but I also agree that just adding a 6" cake to your existing plan will work fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%