Fondant Cake In The Fridge? Ok Or Not?

Decorating By CakeMama625 Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 3:59am by handymama

CakeMama625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMama625 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 7:03am
post #1 of 10

I've been getting mixed answers online about this. I put a jelly filling in the cake and then covered it with fondant. The cake is starting to bulge a bit, so I put it in the fridge about 5 minutes ago. Is that ok? I haven't decorated it yet, I plan to do so in the morning. Tips please!

9 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 7:25am
post #2 of 10

If its bulging........did you put a dam around edge? If not you need to fix the bulging problem...and the fridge is fine...

CakeMama625 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 10

I did put a dam, so I don't understand why its bulging. I looked at it in the fridge thismorning and it kinda looks like the bulge went mostly away.

madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:18am
post #4 of 10

thats great....hope it covers nice for you now

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 12:38am
post #5 of 10

It's probably bulging because there's air betwen the layers that is getting pushed out by the weight of the fondant. If I have time, I fill the cake then set it in the fridge for at least an hour or two. THis way, if the cake decides to bulge, I can fix it before I ice the cake. I chill the iced cake and THEN I put on fondant. There's no good way I've found to make it look perfet if you get a bulge after I've applied the fondant.

If I'm in a hurry, I fill then lay a piece of wax paper on top of the tier and set one of my heavier cookbooks on top. I leave it for 15 minutes or so to make sure the excess air gets pushed out, then ice, chill, and fondant. HTH!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 10

I just had this dilemma last week. I used a BC/fresh strawberry filling, then iced in BC and covered in fondant. I was told to put it in the fridge, and I did so with no problems. The cake was allowed to come back to room temp before it was served, and I was told that it was delicious, and no sweating problems.

CakeMama625 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:00am
post #7 of 10

The cake is covered in white fondant, and has brown and baby blue decorations. If I put it back in the fridge will the colors bleed?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:18am
post #8 of 10

I always refrigerate my cakes. So far I have not had any bleeding problems. You should be just fine! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:36am
post #9 of 10

It should not bleed.....what are decorations made from? IF FONDANT THEY SHOULD NOT BLEED

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 3:59am
post #10 of 10

If you have a home frig you'll be fine. Commercial refrigerators are wet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%