Top Chef--Just Desserts Oct 6Th

Lounge By neecerator Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 8:45pm by Karen421

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 18

What did you think? I feel bad for Seth, Heather and the East-Indian girl. they are all trying so hard. It must be stressful, don't you think? If they can just take things easy and get through, they'll have amazing opportunities in their futures. icon_smile.gif

17 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 18

I haven't gotten to see all of every show, but Seth was bugging me along the way. I felt bad for the one they brought back, but if you are on a show like that you h ave to expect the pressure. That's what the shows are all about. Totally different than working in your own kitchen under your own time frame.

I was said to see the one give up last night, but if she knew that she'd rather be some place else then I give her credit for bowing out now, rather than letting others get axed then coming out and saying so.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 18

I don't know...I was really loving this show but now there seems to be an awful lot of whining going on. I doubt if any of these contestants have never watched Top Chef and didn't have at least some idea what they were getting into.

On the rare occasions that someone has the opportunity for a second chance after being sent home on one of these competition shows, they usually treat it as what it is: An amazing gift and they pull out all the stops to take advantage of the chance they've been given. The one brought back last night just irritated me. I agree with the contestant who told her she is letting her team mates down and to suck it up icon_smile.gif.

As for the girl who gave up, fine, go home if you can't take it. I fully understand her reasons, I'm just glad she finally made a decision. I was getting tired of the drama.

Seth, whole 'nother story! I hope he gets help.

Maybe now the focus can be on the desserts!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 18

I've seen all of the episodes and from the get-go, I wondered why they EVER allowed Seth thru the contestant screening process...........he's obviously a very, very troubled individual.

I understand the producers' desire to have some drama and shake-ups on the show, but forcing everyone to endure the gamut of Seth's psychological issues was really unfair--to both the contestants and to Seth.

I hope they learned some lessons on how and who they choose for these shows. Let's face it, this will haunt Seth for a long time, too..........

JMHO
Rae

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 18

I absolutely agree, I think this may have done serious damage to Seth and the producers need to do a little better screening of the contestants. I do hope he will get help to over come this, but I am glad he is gone.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 18

I kept thinking.."geeze, this makes it look like pastry chefs are a bunch of dramatic, whiny, delicate people who don't know how to handle stress". When the truth is that pastry chef's endure a lot of stress, usually very well. I still enjoy the show, but wish they would limit the drama. I expect next week Heather (one who was brought back) will be bowing up or self-sabotaging.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 18

Drama is why they do these shows. Sadly!

I do think pastry chefs can handle alot, but again take anyone out of their own enviroment, throw them in a competiton and then give them crazy challenges, and I can see the stress of it getting to them.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 18

It's pretty apparant to me that Seth has some serious issues. It was certainly hinted at in the first episode, and by the time they did the the bar challenge, it was crystial clear.

I hope he can get the help he needs. He obviously needs it. I think he's very talented and creative and just needs some good help, and he could be very successful.

As for the Heathers, I have no sympathy for them. Not that Heather H is crying and all, but still, I have to wonder if they've never seen the show. It has the same name, so did they think it would be much different? Of course not. This episode was one of the first times I was like "wow" to the challege they had to do. A showpiece is not that easy to construct.

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 18

I am in pastry school and my mom and I watch the show and she asked if this is what my class acted like and I said yes there are a bunch of drama queens and there is always lots of tension in the kitchen. I love the show and was extremely excited for Seth to leave I didn't care for him from day one. I do hope he gets help but wonder how he passed the screenings and actually got onto the show.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:37am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

I kept thinking.."geeze, this makes it look like pastry chefs are a bunch of dramatic, whiny, delicate people who don't know how to handle stress".

I completely agree. I have always wanted to be a pastry chef, but I would hate it if anyone thought I was petty and childish as some of these chefs. Some of them are kind of annoying.

It also amazes me that these chefs can't make cakes and can barely decorate. They act like baking a cake is beneath them.

I keep watching it. I don't know why. icon_smile.gif

Michele

LisaMarie86 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

I kept thinking.."geeze, this makes it look like pastry chefs are a bunch of dramatic, whiny, delicate people who don't know how to handle stress".

I completely agree. I have always wanted to be a pastry chef, but I would hate it if anyone thought I was petty and childish as some of these chefs. Some of them are kind of annoying.

It also amazes me that these chefs can't make cakes and can barely decorate. They act like baking a cake is beneath them.

I keep watching it. I don't know why. icon_smile.gif

Michele

Some of them do yes but there are bakers and pastry chefs and it is in the same realm but they are completely different. I would rather be a baker/ cake decorator than a pastry chef that does plated deserts. I just am not that good at it and don't enjoy it as much.

TexasSugar Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 18

Maybe this show will lead to one that just focuses on cakes? Yeah I know, it is wishful thinking.

I'm sure they pick alot of the people they do so they can add the drama. If they picked boring, totally focused people they wouldn't have a "show".

I didn't get to see it last night, who got kicked out?

LisaMarie86 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Maybe this show will lead to one that just focuses on cakes? Yeah I know, it is wishful thinking.

I'm sure they pick alot of the people they do so they can add the drama. If they picked boring, totally focused people they wouldn't have a "show".

I didn't get to see it last night, who got kicked out?

I havent watched it yet either but when I do if no one else has said I will let you know. Pastry Chefs are full of drama it seems from personal experience but they do seem to do some casting of some crazies as well.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 18

I saw the last 6 minutes - Erica got kicked off icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 18

Which one was she?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:27am
post #16 of 18

She was the black woman

LisaMarie86 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Which one was she?

The black gal with shorter hair. I really thought Danielle should have gone instead of her though.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:45pm
post #18 of 18

I was kinda of hoping it would have been Virginia. For some reason I am just not crazy about her attitude.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%